108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moveing paralell printer from K to rp5470

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lacrosse
Regular Advisor

Moveing paralell printer from K to rp5470

I am currently using the paralell interface on the K core I/O now I am looking at specing out a rp5470 a MUX, will the MUX support paralell or do I need some other device
Many thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Re: Moveing paralell printer from K to rp5470

MUX will not support parallel interface printers since it's a sereal device. You can use it as remote printer by connecting it to a parallel port.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Good question, Hookem! When I migrated off my K-class a couple of years ago, I had to abandon all my local, parallel attached printers and define them over the network, thus losing a few features that the local attachment offered. HP was unable to offer any alternative except to attach via network.

Pete

Pete
Lacrosse
Regular Advisor

When you say use it as a remote paralell do you mean hook it to a DTC device of some sort....thanks Pete sometime I come up with a few screwy questions LOL!
kamal_9
Super Advisor

Hi
Can you do a ioscan To check if the parrallel port is there or not
#ioscan -fn |more
in the output check for parallel port

Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Tex,

Yep - a JetDirect print server or some other brand. Another option is if it's a laser printer most - if not all - newer printers have provisions for an internal network adapter that serves as it's own print server. If it's an HP that has an "N" in the model it already has one & can be used with the JetDirect software for better print job control or set up immediately as a remote printer as soon as it's connected to the network & given an IP & queue name.

As far as HP servers go, parallel appears to be a "dying" technology as you're finding out.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!