108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving Unix Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

Moving Unix Server

We will be moving our RP5470 unix server into our new server room. Basically it is one rack, with a VA7100, and a couple of Compaq ML350 servers in it. I imagine just shutdown the system, then power down everything, and move it over at "smoothly" as possible. Is there anything else a person should be doing? I take it moving it when the server is running is out of the question.
5 REPLIES 5
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

you should not move a server while it is busy running, and I do not quite see how you could if it is moving rooms.
I would check with your local HP Harwdare Support Centre if you have any concerns.
Good backups are always a good practice.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

Melvyn,

We will do a full system backup prior to the move. The comment about moving the server while it was running was just to query if this was an option at all. Ie - the server would run off the UPS during the move. Probably a stupid comment, but just wanted some feed back onthis point.

Thanks
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Well, you could try doing it while it was running, but are your power cords/network connections, etc. long enough? And do you feel confident that you can move is smoothly enough that you don't end up inducing a head crash?

I think I'd rather shut everything down and go for the nice slow roll to it's new home. Don't forget to unplug the power and network connection!

Pete

Pete
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You might get Scotty to beam it over while powered up. It works for humans while powered up so ...

Whenever I do this, I mark and remove each pluggable disk and label the slot it came from. How much you can leave in the rack depends upon how "top-heavy" the rack is. You really should unrack anything above about 1 - 1.3m and then you should be able to safely roll the remainder of the equipment.

Since I know you are going to ignore this device, make sure you have about 4 people and go very slowly.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
CJENSEN_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks. We'll be shutting down everything.