108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: N class and DLT module

SOLVED
Go to solution
GB Tek
Valued Contributor

N class and DLT module

We have a N class server that backs up to a DLT 8000 module. The device needs repair since it no longer runs backups and cannot be cleaned with a cleaning tape. I was wondering if the server needed to be brought down in order for the module to be replaced. If it can be done live, how would I go about swapping it out? Can I use SAM or STM?
Ask and you shall receive
3 REPLIES 3
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

very simple.... power down the DLT drive (leave the system up). Pull it out... I am guessing either stand-alone or maybe a SmartStore enclosure... check the scsi setting on the back and make sure the new drive has the same one. Insert the new unit... SCSI cable, verify termination and then power it up.

On the server... run ioscan. If the device does not report as claimed.... then run insf -e to rebuild the device files.... run ioscan again. Should see the replaced drive in good order

Ted
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Just adding to Ted's info:

If your drive is stand-alone you don't need to do anything, just remove the drive and replace it. There is no need to even terminate the SCSI port on these later models. If there is a SCSI ID on the back of the drive, make sure the replacement uses the same number.

Cheers
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
GB Tek
Valued Contributor

Thanks.
Ask and you shall receive