108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: N class memory upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
otukile
Frequent Advisor

N class memory upgrade

I have a server with 2 carriers that I want to upgrade. Initialy it had 1 board filled with 512M DIMMS. I then upgraded it by filling 1G DIMMS another carrier board. I then swapped the boards so that carier with 1G DIMMS becomes the carrier 1 and the other one becomes carrier 2. After reboot the system only sees the 1G DIMMS and not the 512M DIMMS. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Don't panic
5 REPLIES 5
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

for correct memory loading/interleaving you should have 1gb's first in each carrier and then fill them up with the 512mb's

So each carrier would have 4x 1GB dimms and 4x 512MB dimms

Also check you have the most recent pdc firmware installed, as this has a fix for the difference in refresh rates of the memory dimms which can sometimes cause problems

Andy
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi,
how are you getting on with this ?

If the problem is solved, could you please complete the thread by awarding points to helpful answers and summarising the solution for you.
This will help resolution of similar problems in the future.
otukile
Frequent Advisor

The firmware upgrade was not the culprit. After thorough analysis we discovered that it is one of DIMMS that had a problem. We did the same upgrade on another N-class and it picked up all the memory without fw upgrade. We just upgraded the fw in both server afrerwards.

I think the whole fiasco was all due to the fact that we worked on the server when we were too tired at night from the days work.

Thanks guys for all your help. Appreciate it.
Don't panic
otukile
Frequent Advisor

Thanx
Don't panic