108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: N4000 Core I/O board replacement

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ryan_151
Occasional Contributor

N4000 Core I/O board replacement

We have an N4000 that does not seem to want to take the GSP firmware upgrade. So we updated a new core I/0 to the latest firmware on another machine and we were just going to swap the board into the current machine having the issue. Any probelms with that? Board is the same part number.

Thanks
Ryan
3 REPLIES 3
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Ryan,

I've done that before, and not had a serious issue. I can't remember if the N4000 stores the system SN on the GSP card or not, but that may be an issue. of course, you could get HP to replace it if you have a service contract, (it may be a HW issue if you can't upgrade the FW) Thus bypassing any possible part #/ Serial # mis-match issues.

Josh
What are the chances...
Ryan_151
Occasional Contributor

Will the machine still work fine with wrong serial number or product name? I am assuming it will it would just have an incorrect serial number.

Ryan
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

the serial number is stored on the system card, not on the Core I/O card.
All GSP settings (login, logs etc.) will also be moved to the new machine. If you want to set them to default, remove the battery on the Core I/O card for several seconds (firmware will survive this (stored on flash memory)).
All OS and PDC specific data (Product Number, serial, SCSI IDs & speed) are stored on the system card.
By the way, running a system with a wrong serial number leads to a change in the SWID that is used by many software packages to verify the licence ...

Another interesting point is: why isn't it possible to update the firmware of the old GSP card ? What is the old firmware revision ("he" in GSP mode). If you have an old firmware, you need a two step upgrade procedure. (first update to B.2.15, then to B.2.20).
Unfortunately, I don't know an internet location for the old firmware (newest available in ITRC). Contact HP and ask them to send it via e-mail to you.

Best regards

Stefan