108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: N4000 changing console type

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Firkey
Regular Advisor

N4000 changing console type

I have an N4000 that I want to change the console type from vt100 to Hpterm, so that I can install HPUX on it with the terminal. I tried to log into the GSP and then use the CA command, but it doesn't give me the option to change the terminal type, only baud rate and flow control then it jumps to remote settings. I tried to use DC, but it says I need to be the Administrator, which I have no clue what the password is for that. Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6
Angus Crome
Honored Contributor
Solution

I suppose the terminal is an HP 700/9X series. If so, then go into the terminal setup and change the terminal itself to EM100. It is not perfect, but it does run the screens pretty well. "Remember, CTRL-L clears most screen issues at time of failure"

Check out this thread for the specifics (toward the bottom);

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=26943
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
Helen French
Honored Contributor

You can change the terminal type from the terminal configuration menu. You don't need to log in to GSP for that. What happens when you try to install HP-UX now? My vt100 terminal will show me the install screen.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Someone has set the GSP password so if no one knows it, you'll have to reset the GSP. As mentioned, you have two choices: leave the GSP stuck at vt100, then change the HP smart terminal into a dumb terminal (EM100 in the HP terminal config menu). However, you won't like the way SAM and swinstall work with the softkeys. The second way (preferred) is to find the GSP admin password or reset the GSP and then the admin won't have a login or password (just hit return twice). Now use CA to change the terminal emulation to Hpterm and leave your HP 700/9x terminal in HP emulation mode. You'll like the softkeys for SAM, swinstall, Glance, etc.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Eric Firkey
Regular Advisor

How do I reset the GSP? I won't be able to get the admin password, because this is a lease return server.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

From a shell prompt:

stty +resetGSP
However, this is a N-class box and in that (much better) design, there is a GSP reset button on the GSP card in the back. The downside to remote management is that someone will have to manually push the button. Note that it does not affect HP-UX at all--it is a separate processor.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
JaySimon
Advisor

one thing your could try is just resetting your terminal. If you hold down the D key and turn on the terminal and while holding this key down for a few seconds you will get a beep or two then let off the D key and your terminal will say Terminal set to default hit any key you can hit any key and if your machine is still on and hooked up to the terminal then hit enter once or twice and you should ket the display back up.