108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need help / RP Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

Need help / RP Server

I have an RP server/ Itanium running 11.23.
Its running a CA product called Access Control that has expired all of the passwords including root.

Big problem is, there is no console connected and no LAN console attached either.
I want to boot into single user mode and reset / recover the passwords but I am not able to emulate a console with Reflections.

Any idea what I can do or use to emulate a console, boot into single user mode and reset things.

Bob ~
UNIX IS GOOD
5 REPLIES 5
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Do you have remote LAN console hooked up? Can you access console remotely? If you don't know root password or any other accounts, then first make sure you have remote console connectivity before you reset the server.
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

I dont have a LAN console.
Is there any emulation software I can use that truely emulates an HP console so I can use control+B ????
UNIX IS GOOD
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you have a null modem cable and a windows machine, you can use Hyperterminal to simulate a console.

Run Hyperterminal on your windows box and set up your settings to be:
terminal type vt100, 9600, 8bit no parity.
And now you should be able to talk to the console.

Good Luck.
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
The other chance besides Windows PC and Hyperterminal is a dumb RS232 Terminal.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Reflection is a marketing product line with several very different components. If your product is Reflection/X, it will not work as a console. Now bundled with Reflection/X is Reflection for Unix which will work. So will Reflection for HP (these are the icon titles. Or you can use Hyperterminal in any laptop or PC. The true console is just a simple RS-232 connection -- but -- you must use the correct cable. Most people just grab a straight-through cable which will never work. You need a crossover or null-modem cable. Note that once you get connected, you can likely login as root even though the account has been disabled.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin