4044 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need to know about HPMC..

Shankar_6
Regular Advisor

Need to know about HPMC..

Hi all,

I like to know how HPMC(High priority machine check)actually works and how/where it logs the error files..

If i get URL which explains the same,i really appreicate it..

thanks
shankar
5 REPLIES 5
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

A High Priority Machine Check (HPMC) is occured when the system panic, usually indicates a hardware problem. An HPMC is characterized by a total, sudden system halt and an HPMC "tombstone" printed on the console, which records the contents of the system's registers. If you encounter an HPMC, contact your HP service representative. Note that an HPMC tombstone is also printed out after a TOC (Transfer of Control -- see "Transfer of Control In Case of System Hang" for details). There is no need to contact an HP representative for an HPMC tombstone that is the result of a TOC.

If the HPMC occured, the /var/tombstones/ts99 will be updated. You will see the timestamp message on the file will be updated into the recent one.

The ts99 information is same with the PIM information, you can get the PIM information on the BCH mode (info > piminfo).

The pim report information, include :
- timestamp
- chassiscodes
- responder/requestor addresses
- I/O module error log
- memory error log

There's a PIM decoder for workstation at this url below :

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=pimdecode

I refer you to contact HP Response Center if you found HPMC issue on your system.

Hope this information can help you.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Shankar_6
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I really appreciate your help..I just have another question..is there any specific daemons or services or package to be installed on the server for HPMC or will it run by default in all servers..?

Thanks a lot for ur assitance.

Regards
Shankar
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Shankar,

No - nothing SW-wise needs to be installed. This is purely a function of the hardware & firmware.

Also besides /var/tombstones/ts99 you may also want to check /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log & /etc/shutdownlog for any futher clues for the reason for the crash.

And if crash dump is enabled on the system check the /var/adm/crash directory for any dumps that may have been written out. These will contain the contents of memory when the incident occurred.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Agreed with Jeff Schussele.

There's no specific daemons or services or package to be installed on the server for HPMC.

Even some old servers dont have /var/tombstones/ts99, but HPMC can check thru PIM information on BCH mode.

Hope this information can help you.

Cheers,
AW

PS : Please assign the points.
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

HPMC the has nothing to do with HP-UX. It is a fancy name for a hardware failure. For instance, if a parity error occurs in the processor's instruction cache, the processor(s) immediately stop, the HPMC code is saved in a special NVRAM and machine begins a memory dump. There can be no logs or processes/daemons to handle this because the system is already dead.

What you see in the tombstones directory is created after the machine reboots. This is true for any machiune crash--logs (specifically /etc/shutdownlog) are created after the machine reboots. By reading the NVRAM and the crash dump, the details of the crash can be recorded after HP-UX is running again.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin