6282 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Newbie... E55 query

SOLVED
Go to solution
jonathan lewis_1

Newbie... E55 query

Apologies for the naive nature of my query but I'm fairly new to this! I have been given an E55 server, and I would like to find out if it works.

I have access to six other D9000 servers, all of which have a built-in console interface for the VT100. This E55 is different in there's no (readily identifiable) console port...at least, not one I can find!

Port-wise, it has RJ45 & AUI network interfaces and a second multi-port blade with single ended SCSI, a parallel printer port and an ADP/DDP port (whatever that is! No idea :)

I can see there are spaces at the back where other blades/modules could be fitted, I suspect that the console port was previously fitted to on one of these now missing parts. It is entirely possible that this (percieved) lack of VT100 ports is why it was given to me!

Can anyone out there tell me if my synopsis is correct? From reading posts in this forum, I understand this box is quite old, which leads me to deduce that spare parts for it will be rare and therefore horrendously expensive. I am based in the UK.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

You are correct that Es are pretty old systems. So old that I've never actually seen one. But we do have a T-class system which is also old & from about the same time as that E, I believe.
Now on this T the console port is a little DIN connector - like mice & KB ports on PCs.
You need a special cable for the console. It's a DIN to a DB-9 cable. I don't know the part #.
So check your E for that DIN connector - that might be your console port.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jonathan: from the way-back machine...

The older HP series had two ways to connect the console; either the DIN plug like Jeff mentions, or an "MDP" (modem distribution panel), also referred to as an "active distribution panel", or ADP. You appear to have the latter.

What happens with this type of connect scheme is, the DB25 plug labeled ADP is NOT an RS232 plug. It needs a special cable and an 8-port distribution panel with DB25 connectors, which are RS232, but have some non-standard pin assignments. You need the MDP/ADP panel (5062-3054), and the special cable (5062-3074) that connects it to the ADP port on your E55. Then you need an HP console cable (40242-60020) to run to your terminal.

You can make this 'MDP console cable', if you have the pinouts. See this link for some help there:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xf58a0559ff7cd4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

I think the standard 2,3,7 (TX, RX, GND) signals are all you need, and they are on normal pins. So... unless you need to make the "modem" port see the CTS and CD and (etc) signals, with some sort of loopback plugs on the MDP end, some standard cables (modem or null-modem, I forget which work on the MDP) MIGHT work for you.

For help ordering the spare part numbers listed above, go to:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main

You can search for parts, and there is an 800 number to order parts from.

Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

NOTE: the DIN-style console connector was never used on the E-class, as it turns out, only on the earlier units (G/H/I Nova class, T500 ?Emerald?, and earlier, like 827S, etc). E-class came after those, but before the K-class. K-class uses the same MDP scheme for serial connections other than Console, Modem (support) port, and UPS port (leaving 5 useable DB25s with signals on the pins, on the MDP if you added it).

Later... --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
jonathan lewis_1

Thanks to Brian and Jeff for your responses.

Based on your comments, I have found a UK supplier who can provide the board and cable for around ??200.

I've actually got two of these E55 servers, so all I've got to do now is persuade my boss to sign off the ??400 on the purchase form! :)

Thanks again