HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753448 Members
5105 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No boot menu on HP9000 / c110

Morten Sickel_1

No boot menu on HP9000 / c110

I have taken over the responsibility for a 9000/c110 at work and would like to install HPUX 11 on it. The problem is just that I cannot get to the boot menu, When booting, the screen is blank until the yellow boxes appear at the bottom, then it goes directly into X. I have tried to remove the boot disk, but then it just hangs. Also if I select the 'no windows' option at the login screen, I just get a blank screen for some secounds and then I am back to X. It seems to have been secured down by a former administrator (who has since long left) Any ideas how I can access the boot menu? I have of cource full root access to the machine.

Morten
6 REPLIES 6
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: No boot menu on HP9000 / c110

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi, the workstation is in secure mode.

Disconnect the hard drive internally and then boot the station. as it fails to boot it will stop at the boot menu. from here you can navigate through the menu's and turn secure boot off

Also how many graphics card are installed, it could be defaulting to the wrong path.

you could connect a terminal device to the serial port 1 and disconnect the video and ps2 k/b and mouse. this will cause it to boot on the serial port.

Andy
AwadheshPandey
Honored Contributor

check this thread it may helpful for u.
http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=22534

Awadhesh
It's kind of fun to do the impossible
Morten Sickel_1

Thanks for your replies, but unplugging all bootable devices did not help.... (And. I knew what to look for to unplug scsi-devices... :-) )
Morten Sickel_1

" Also how many graphics card are installed, it could be defaulting to the wrong path.

you could connect a terminal device to the serial port 1 and disconnect the video
and ps2 k/b and mouse. this will cause it to boot on the serial port. "

This seems to be the problem. It is only one graphic card installed (in slot 3 if that matters, the other slots are empty) Is it anyhow possible to assign another paht for the terminal, or is digging up a serial cable the only way?

M.

(BTW, iirc, an ordinary PC has it RS-232 as a DTE, is the HP a DCE or DTE?)

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

without connectinga serial device to the workstation there is only one other way, which may work.

connect the monitor and k/b and mouse up and then turn on the workstation.
shortly after the fan noise dies down the numlock light will flash on the keyboard. At this point then press the tab key a few times. you dont have long to press it at the right time. this will cause the workstation to cycle through all the video modes. when you get one that works press return and save it.
As its booting into X its probably not the path but the video mode possibly.

Andy