HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1752815 Members
6100 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No output to console

Steve Stanton

No output to console

I have a 9000 G30 with an HP 700/96 terminal connected to a MDP port. The MDP unit is connected to a RS232 Direct Connect MUX card(J2902A. The MUX cable also runs to a DDP but no devices are connected. I have reset the terminal and the Remote Access key is enabled. Nothing is posting to the terminal during boot. The other cards in the box are an AUI/ThinNet card and a SCSI/Printer/ADP MUX 16 card (A1703-60022). No external devices come off this card and teh SCSI connector is terminated. I need to put the box in single-user mode to reset the root password. The previous sysadmin left no records. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Which port on the MDP is it connected to? It should be the first one (0 or 1)

have you reset the console by holding the D key while powering up?

In case you need it, here's the instructions on booting in single user mode:

command:
shutdown -ry now

when the system finishes shutting down, it will then POST, and then begin booting. watch the console and do not allow it to autoboot. once you are at the BCH (pre-hpux) prompt, type
BO PRI
this will ask you "do you want to interact with the IPL?" or something similar. answer "Y"

at the ISL> or IPL> prompt, enter
hpux -is

This should boot you into single user mode.

Josh
What are the chances...
Steve Stanton

The terminal is connect to port 0 on the MDP. Port 1 on the MDP is hand marked "modem" though no modem was ever connected. The terminal does not show any output when I hold down the D key and power cycle the server. The terminal displays the key menu and user menu normally using the respect keys. I can use the keyboard key to cycle through sub-menus and settings. I can set the echo on and see typed characters on the screen. Thanks.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Did this setup work at any time that you know of?

Typically the G-class SPU has a DIN (PS/2) type connector that is used for a Console Connection. Is something like that on your LAN/Console Card?

Josh
What are the chances...
Steve Stanton

I have never seen the console work. Users telnet into the box to access apps and this works. I know there is a card that has a console (PS2) connector, but this box does not have one.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

OK, how are you connecting into the back of the console? if you are facing at the rear of the 700/96 console, there are 3 ports: (From Left to Right):
DB25 RS-232 Serial Port
DB25 Parallel Printer Port
DB9 RS-232 Serial Port

the console should be connected to the DB25 RS-232 Serial Port.

Josh
What are the chances...
Steve Stanton

From left to right, skipping the RJ-11 port for the keyboard: PORT 1 is DB-25 and cabled to MDP Port 0 (4 pins). PORT 2 is DB-25 and empty. PORT 3 is DB-9 and empty.

The Direct Connect MUX card has a Y cable. One cable is with a DB-9 end connects to serial port on MDP. The other cable with a Centronics50 end connects to Centronics port on DDP.
Bill Colley
Frequent Advisor

Steve,

The system console on a G30 comes off the multi-function card.
You have to have a MUX panel off the ADP port on the A1703-60022.
The system console would then be port 0 on the MUX panel.

Bill

Hi, there
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi steve,

You have it cabled correctly to the correct port(0) on the J2092A, but only if the path in BCH reflects that.

It sounds like it hasnt been set up that way.

You will need to connect the panel to the adp port on the multi function I/O card(a1703-60022). Then your terminal will work and if you want to you can change the console path to the J2092A mux card.

Andy