1753262 Members
4790 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No prompt on the console

didi_7
Occasional Advisor

No prompt on the console

I need to install HP Tru64 5.1B on my HP9000 D370/2 server, but i got no prompt to type boot and load installation from the CD. How do i configure the console to get it done? Thanks,
Dimitri
5 REPLIES 5
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

On the back of the server you will have an RS-232 serial port dedicated for a console. I think it is marked Serial 1. You need to attach a terminal here and have it emulate either HP or VT100 (HP Term is preferred).

If you have this then when you power on you should see activity in the LCD display. If you see a FLT or a code hangs there for a while then there may be a problem preventing boot-up.

If you have a known good console, advise on what the LCD is showing you.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
didi_7
Occasional Advisor

It's connected to Serial1 port, LCD shows RUN. Technically the console works, but i see no prompt on it, so i can't run any command. And that's the problem.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Did you connect a serial terminal (or emulator on a PC) using a null-modem cable? There are two completely incompatible cables for serial devices: modem (aka, straight-thru) and printer or null-modem. Pins 2 and 3 must be reversed because the computer and the terminal are both DTE devices. Set the terminal to 9600 baud, 8N1 values.

Tru64 and an HP9000? Do you have a PA-RISC version of Tru64 and if so, is it compatible with the fairly old D370?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ray Stone_1
Occasional Contributor

I actually have a similar issue. I'm trying to attach an HP C1064G serial console to a B2000 running Linux. I can attach a PC running Hyperterminal on Windows, with the same cable and it works fine. However, when I attach the HP console, I get nothing.

I don't have a manual for the C1064G but I've looked at some of the settings and it appears to be configured properly and it's showing EM100 (it's practically new as well). When I boot the system with no other peripherals attached, the LCD shows that the box is defaulting to the serial console but I never see anything but a blinking cursor. The box is booting fine as I can access it over the network but I'd like to get the console working with it.

Thanks in advance.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

I have never heard of Tru64 for pa-risc, only for Alpha. I don't think that will ever work. Do you see any output at power on from the D370 console? If you don't see the boot rom, then check the cabling of the terminal to the RS-232 port.
Mom 6