108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Number of Max users allowed on machine

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brett Hawson
Occasional Contributor

Number of Max users allowed on machine

Could anyone tell me which configurable parameters I can change to be able to get more than 240 users onto a box. If it isn't kernel parameters, what and where can I find information to do this.
5 REPLIES 5
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

Re: Number of Max users allowed on machine

You have to increase maxusers and ofcourse, have a look at npty settings. If the npty is less than 240 you can not allocate pty for you. So increase that also if required.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
Jon Mattatall
Esteemed Contributor

Here is a thread:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x43567b8d1de3d5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

that covers this well, and the included link from JRF is still live.

Jon
A little knowledge is dangerous - none is absolutely terrifying!!!
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Brett

maxusers is the kernel parameter to change , it also chnages lots of users depended parameters . Here is a good document for your help.

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/os/KCparams.OverviewAll.html

And llok up for the maxusers , also these are the users getting connected on direct ports to the machine.

Manoj Srivastava
Jon Mattatall
Esteemed Contributor

Sigh...

Maybe I shouldn't be shooting from the lip today.....

The maxusers value is used to set other kernel values in turn, making our lives easier. It is not a hard limit on the # of users allowed.

I believe that the actual number of users you can connect to the box is limited by memory (assuming that you have sufficient terminals set up).

The user license (2 users) means 1 console and 1 LAN connection. Obviously, many users can hook up over the network connection. HP's stance on this is a mystery to me, but it has been suggested that they would like the license to reflect the actual # of users instead.

At any rate, you should be able to exceed 240 easily (although bandwidth may be an issue).

Jon
A little knowledge is dangerous - none is absolutely terrifying!!!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You can have tens of thousands of users login as long as you have enough swap space (not RAM). But each network login requires a pseudo terminal device file pair. Dependiong on which version of HP-UX you are running, you need to increase npty, nstrpty and nstrtel...for now, set them all equal to 1000 using SAM and you'll be set.

Note that actual performance once 900 users login is a different issue.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin