108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OVERTEMP_EMERG WARNING

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carlos Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

OVERTEMP_EMERG WARNING

Hello guys!! I was checking this morning the servers and I realized that one of them was down. This server is a HP 2430. I checked the syslog.log and found the following message:

Jan 15 21:39:32 telcobkp /usr/sbin/envd[1677]: ***** OVERTEMP_EMERG WARNING *****
Jan 15 21:39:32 telcobkp /usr/sbin/envd[1677]: Temperature exceeded the OVERTEMP_CRIT threshold. Correct the over-temperature condi
tion immediately.

I don't know why this happened. The air conditioner was working fine, there was no obstruction on the fan (cooling intake), the temperature was ok, and also the air conditioner monitor didn't report an overtemperature. It is strange because we have another server similar to this, and it did not report this kind of message, nor it was down, the same apply to the rest of the servers that we have in the room. I would appreciate some help on this. Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Carlos,

if you are sure environment conditions are fine, it could be a problem with the platform monitor board.

Log a HW call with HP.

Regards,
Bernhard
kamal_9
Super Advisor

hi
the problem may be with the cooling fans inside the system
pls call up hp
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Only hp can comment on this.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
T. M. Louah
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

if you have a console attached to the server, press CTRL+B to get to GSP then type PS you should get environment status.
Sounds like the ambient incoming air temperature on your system is not within specification .. the treshold is not met. call HP resp center log a HW call.
Little learning is dangerous!
Helen French
Honored Contributor

This would be an error from a monitor card or a cooling fan or other related hardware sources. Check your root mail and look for any more information about this warning. Check your system log files (syslog.log and OLDsyslog.log) and shutdownlog file (/etc). Check your hardware with STM tools. If you suspect any hardware error, the best thing is to log a call with your support.

I would also check the hardware monitor log files.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Carlos Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

Thank you guys for all your support. I notified our HP local support so we can find out what is going on. I have another question regarding this case, is there a possible way to configure at what temperature the server will restart?? what do I have to do to see the current temperature value set on the server???
Carlos Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

Another comment, I executed the PS command in GSP, the ouput is attached to the message.

As you can see, temperature is medium, which is strange, because I checked the rest of the servers, specially the other hp 2430 we have, and the temperature is normal. The command was executed at the same time for all of the servers. The temperature is OK, there are no alarms in the air conditioner control box, even if there were it would be logical that the other hp 2430 would register the same temperature status (medium).
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Carlos,

1) No - you cannot change the action values.

2) There is no way to "see" the actual temps. Just the range is viewable as in your attachment.

3) You have one of several problems:
A) A blower (fan) problem
B) A faulty temp sensor
C) A component that's running *very* hot

Anyway you look at it, you need to log a HW call with HP & have them come & diag the problem. It's not going to go away on it's own.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Helen French
Honored Contributor

The temperature limit (working condition) is set from the manufacturer. You cannot set it by yourself. To find out the limit set for your server, check the hardware manual and look for Environmental specification or Site Preparation Guide.

In some old servers (and some new), there were ways to find out the current system temperature with hardware diag tools. I am not sure about your particular one. I would think there is some hardware failure or mal functioning, which can be solved by the hardware support people.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!