cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opininons on moving from pa-risc to Itainium2

steve_26
Occasional Contributor

Opininons on moving from pa-risc to Itainium2

We currently have a v-class machine dedicated to running Sybase. I was thinking of moving to an rx4640. I have been having second thoughts due to the fact I can't find anyone else running Sybase on HPUX on Itanium (I was told the NASDAQ did a project last year). Also, Sybase hasn't released their newest version yet for Itanium. I don't need it, but it seems to me it's taking a back seat to other platforms. However, I don't doubt Sybase is commited to the platform. The life of the application is only 3-4 more years so parisc is still a valid option. But I can get more bang for the buck with Itanium. The migration process seems to be a simple dump and load. I'm thinking of falling back to an rp4440. Any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Re: Opininons on moving from pa-risc to Itainium2

Hi Steve,

Before moving to itanium you must be sure that your application is supported on Itanium. If not, then stay on PA-RISC.

For the rest I can say that the performance of 1 itanium2 CPU is almost the same as 2 PA-RISC CPU's

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Don't forget an Opteron solution is also a possibility. There are now Opteron servers out there if I am not mistaken) that can go 8-way with 4 dual-core CPUs.

However, you will have to change OS. Your options are Solaris, Linux and Win2003.
Hakuna Matata.
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

Like Luk mentioned you would want to make sure your application will run on itanium, given a chance I would always want to stay with HPUX basically because of the stability and performance, I would not recommend any other OS even other unix may be ok but not windows.

Rgds

HGN
Stan Sieler
Respected Contributor

Hi Steve,

I am not associated with any hardware
company, nor Sybase. We've got applications
we sell on PA-RISC and Itanium and, soon,
X86. From outside HP, that application
life of 3-4 years looks like it might
outlast Itanic, er, Itanium :)

It looks like a number of companies
already sell 16-way Opterons (Fabric7
has one for $144,000, which will support
up to 128 GB of RAM!), and a
32-way Opteron chipset is apparently
due next year.

BTW, HGN, a post like "go with Itanium"
is easier for people to evaluate if we
know what company you work for :)

Stan
sieler@allegro.com
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Nor am I.

Since this is an HP owned Forum --one such box actually is offered by HP - the Proliant DL585 which recently broke the 200,000 tpmC record for a 4-CPU system. It was running Win2003 64bit and the newly "officially" released MS SQL Server 2005 64bit.

If you want to stick with Sybase - then you may certainly want to look at shifting to Linux OS or if you've in house Solaris talent - Solaris 10 (although I am not 100% sure Sun supports SOlaris on Proliant at Tier 1).

The days of the RISC systems are numbered. Commodity CPUs are here now and also speak 64bits.
Hakuna Matata.