6302 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Optimal Operating temp/enviorment?

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Campbell_6

Optimal Operating temp/enviorment?

My question is simple. In any tech docs (which I can't find) is there a maximum temperature in Fahrenheit that the 9000 series should be exposed to? As in the room temp during continuous operation. Senior Mgmt is trying to move our severs to a room that is notoriously hot in the summer. I hear promises of the AC being fixed but don't buy it. If this exists where can I get it in writing?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

It is amazing that management today will risk thousands (millions) of dollars of computer hardware to save a few hundred dollars in air conditioning. It doesn't matter what computers, disks, printers, tape drives, etc you are using in your computer room. If you allow the temperature to rise about 85 to 90 degrees F, your hardware will start degrading and will get erratic (parity errors, controller lockups, system crashes). Let the temperature go above 95 deg F and you will be buying new hardware quite soon (or you'll find another job because you'll be blamed for the unreliable equipment.) It's important to note that the 9000 isn't the only piece of equipment that can be damaged.

As a minimum, put a thermostatic power breaker in the room that drops all power when the temperature goes above 95 deg F. Then tell your management (in writing) what the dollar amount will be to replace 100% of *ALL* the equipment if the air conditioning fails. I have personally witnessed a couple of computer rooms that lost air conditioning while the equipment continued to run. The interior temperature went off the scale (way over 150 deg F) until power supplies blew up. One of the rooms cost $250,000 US to replace all the equipment due to a lousy air conditioning design. Naturally, all this happened on the weekend when no one was there.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

Recommended operating temperature ranges are available for all 9000 hardware. However, I agree with other post: why tempt the temp?

For example, here is the temp spec for an model rp8420-32 9000:

"Operating +41├В┬░ to +95├В┬░ F (+5├В┬░ to +35├В┬░ C)"

These ranges can be model specific. If you search docs.hp.com with the model number, you may find specs in user manuals, etc.

Even with these ranges, I would bet that the equipment will age faster / fail sooner towards the upper limits.

Make sure OnlineDiag software is installed. You will get alerts as the room gets hot. Machines should power themselves down if the temp gets t
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Take a look at any of the various Site Preparation guides:

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/hw/index.html#top
http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/A7025-96004/A7025-96004.html

They will give precise information for each server type.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi David,

My simple ole country boy rule of thumb is
If I'm uncomfortable in the data center, well by gosh so are the systems. Very simple rule - but it works.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
David Campbell_6

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses. As an IT Professional for 11 years I understand what we would consider common sense on ambient room temperature. Anything over 75 F would be unacceptable to me. I will comb through the links from Mr. Donovan and try to find a hard document stating the max-recommended temp. This is a no-brainer to me, but management works in hard written facts, unless it suits them not to.

Thanks Again