New Discussion юеВ

Re: Overheat shutdown Protection

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony Constantine
Frequent Advisor

Overheat shutdown Protection

Hi,

I know that the L Class running EMS will shutdown in the event of an A/C fault causing a rise in temp, I think it starts the shutdown at 39 degrees.

Does the N Class do the same, also is there any documentation regarding this?

Thanx
4 REPLIES 4
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

You may be able (I'm not sure) to configure the temperature when starts the shutdown process at:

/etc/opt/resmon/lbin/monconfig

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

The Nclass also has an overtemp shutdown. You'll find the details in the N-class operator's manual. However, I would not rely on this shutdown to protect your equipment from poorly designed air conditioning. Generally, the value of all the computer equipment (computers, disk storage units, tape drives, network appliances, etc) far exceeds the value of the air conditinioning system, yet a poorly designed AC system will destroy all the unprotected equipment. NOTE: running any computer room at more than 33 C (over 90 F) will seriously shorten the life expectancy of your equipment. And it really doesn't matter that the L and N-class boxes shutdown at 39 if the disk arrays, tape drives and networking is toast...your computer room is still dead.

I would strongly recommend several overtemp solutions for the room including a simple (but effective) thermostatic breaker that as a last resort, removes all power to the room in case of overtemp (set to shutoff at 33 C or so). A 100 euro breaker is cheap insurance for the very expensive equipment and the even more costly downtime needed to repair all the damage from a failed AC system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Tony Constantine
Frequent Advisor

Thanx for the valuable info, we are looking at ways to protect the A/C, was just curious to know if the N was the same as the L in an overtemp situation.

Tony Constantine
Frequent Advisor

Thanx to all who responded, just the info that I required.