cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overtemperature exceeded warning

Carlos Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

Overtemperature exceeded warning

Hello guys!! I was checking this morning the servers and I realized that one of them was down. This server is a HP 2430. I checked the syslog.log and found the following message:

Jan 15 21:39:32 telcobkp /usr/sbin/envd[1677]: ***** OVERTEMP_EMERG WARNING *****
Jan 15 21:39:32 telcobkp /usr/sbin/envd[1677]: Temperature exceeded the OVERTEMP_CRIT threshold. Correct the over-temperature condi
tion immediately.

I don't know why this happened. The air conditioner was working fine, there was no obstruction on the fan (cooling intake), the temperature was ok, and also the air conditioner monitor didn't report an overtemperature. It is strange because we have another server similar to this, and it did not report this kind of message, nor it was down, the same apply to the rest of the servers that we have in the room. I would appreciate some help on this. Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

Re: Overtemperature exceeded warning

I would call for support as the environmental board seems to be having a problem...

If you don't have a problem, remove the mesage from the log. and go on. You may have trouble rebooting until that is done. Not all messages from the GSP are correct, but all bear investigation...

Tim
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

We once had a similar behaviour with a NetAPP filer; after a real air condition failure one of the sensors didn't reset and continuosly noted some 60°C; we powered it off and on and the sensor worked correctly again.

Maybe You want to give this a try. On the other hand, You might want to have a field engineer look at it, just in case some fan has faile
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Carlos,

You need to check the GSP error logs on this system. You may have had a blower (fan) failure which caused the overtemp.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Carlos Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

I checked the GSP logs and there was nothing strange. I already open a case in HP, and I'm still waiting for the response. Thank you guys!!!