HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748202 Members
3008 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PA-8800 Systems Are Out! Anyone using already?

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

PA-8800 Systems Are Out! Anyone using already?

HP unveiled yesterday the Mako (PA8800) based HP9000 servers. PA-8800 are dual core (2 PA8700 cores on a single CPU). Effectively, all existing HP9000 servers get double the CPU's with some new models appearing.

- Superdomes now get 128 CPU's (however, single partition 128 CPU support is still in a future 11i release.. currently you will need to have 2 x 64 CPU nPars)
- vPar 3.00 released for PA8800 CPU support BUT, you can only have up to 8 CPU's in a vPar.

Check out these new servers at: http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/HP9000_family_overview.html

Anyone Using or planning to purchase these new boxen? Or Itanium is still on everone cross-hairs?
Hakuna Matata.
6 REPLIES 6
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

Re: PA-8800 Systems Are Out! Anyone using already?

Whoa Nellie!!!

There can be some really interesting difficulties with Itanium based servers. We sent 5 back and got RP2470's in exchange. The database and application were not too happy together.

Since Oracle 9I - Itanium for hpux version worked fine on a one of set of hardware, we ignited from good servers to bad. Still no such luck. The hardware was exercized. (should have been exorcized.) We never found any HW errors on two servers. Still Oracle 9.2 would not load. (same media on other servers loaded fine...)

We used the same kernel settings. It was so strange it drove our DBA crazy... We could only make one of the servers for our test work. we sent 5 servers back to HP.

The RPs on the otherhand work very well...
Itanium with less than 8 CPU's won't cut it as our database server...

Tim

Tim
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Yo Timmy!

So what exactly was wrong with the Integrity Itanics err Itanium? ALL of the top TPC performers are Integrity HP's.

We are on an upgrade path to the 8800's - starting with an upgrade to out SD32000 and a new rp8420 which we shoule have in a few days. We are not however happy with vPar support (only 8 CPU's so far) and other issues -- but HP promises a fix/refresh of vPar in the next few...

Hakuna Matata.
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

We had trouble with our Installation of Oracle. According to our DBA Leif, The problem became one of compiler/linker issues.

Beyond that, I believe it is that for Itanium you MUST have the ANSI C compiler( I am interpreting my DBA's attempt at English. He may only speak SQL some days.)

Tim
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

8800/PA-RISC boxes due in next couple of weeks.

Tim
Hank Eggers
Frequent Advisor

Anyone know how Oracle per/CPU licensing will work with the dual-core pa8800's? Thanks!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Hank,

It's my understanding that each PA-8800 core *will* count as 2 CPUs in regards to licensing of any sort that is on a per-CPU basis.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!