4904 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PA-RISC1.1

Isralyn Manalac_1
Regular Advisor

PA-RISC1.1

Hi,

Is it possible to upgrade my A500 from PA-RISC1.1 to PA-RISC2.0?
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Re: PA-RISC1.1

Hi,

Yes, certainly. I actually thought a500's were only shipped with pa 2.0 processors but the early 11.00 release notes do mention it supporting a 32 bit OS.....just double check you really do have pa 1.1 cpus in there.

Cheers,

James.
Isralyn Manalac_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reply. yes, it is PA-RISC1.1. How do I upgrade it to PA-RISC2.0?
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Well, the easiest way is to contact HP or a certified supplier to do it for you, through the normal support channels. There will be a minimum firmware requirement so you may need to upgrade this first, you also need to check the system board supports the faster processors and architecture. The systems hardware section on the documentation server :

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/hw/index.html

has upgrade procedures for several systems, admittedly not the a500. This will give you an idea but I'm not sure I'd recommend doing it yourself.

- James.
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Is your computer perhaps an A180 (which was PA-RISC 1). A400 and A500 is always PA-RISC 2.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have to agree with Leif.
Though it was modeled as an A180, it's by no means equivalent to the A400/A500/rp2400 systems. HW-wise there's a huge difference between them. And no - there's no way to upgrade an A180 to a PA-RISC 2.0 architecture - it just can't be done.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
doug hosking
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the others. An A500 should already be PA-RISC 2.0. An A180 is the only A-class system I know of that is not 2.0.

What does your system return when you run
the following commands?

getconf HW_32_64_CAPABLE

getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS

model

uname -r