Re: PDC firmware upgrade ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jerry L. Sims
Frequent Advisor

PDC firmware upgrade ?

Hello All,

Just wanted to know if any of you had upgraded
your PDC ( Processor Dependent Code ) firmware with patch phss_30724 ? I normally, in the past had the HP hardware C.E. upgrade our firmware. I was reviewing the notes for this patch ( phss_30724 ) to upgrade our rp7400, which the current PDC firmware is "42.06", and the patch should upgrade it to "43.43". It just sounds like HP has really simplified the
firmware upgrade process ? Please let me know your experiences. Thanks

[/tmp]# HP-UX B.11.11 9000/800/N4000-75
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Jerry,

No, we haven't upgraded any Ns/rp7400s via that patch yet, but as long as you read & follow any special instructions, you shouldn't have any problems.
And yes, there can be several ways to upgrade PDC FW.
Via a bootable tape, via local GSP LAN FTP & via the very easy patch install routine.
We do it / we've done it all 3 ways & you're correct the patch method is the easiest, but...alas...you can't do it that way to cell- based systems - 7410/8400/'Domes - you have to use the GSP LAN FTP method. And there are a lot of steps & it can take up to 2 hours on an 8400 or a 'Dome.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

It had been smooth all the times for us. No problem at all. We let hp do it all the time.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

All of my RP7400/N4000s are at 43.43 level with this patch and I didn't run into any issues with this patch. It was pretty smooth.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Ingo Duschl
Frequent Advisor

hello, we got several HP9000 boxes D and K class, and i always do the PDC firmware update by tape. so i store the different tapes to be able to step back in case of failure. it is not the easiest way, but it is a good way to control if everthings working.
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I checked with colleagues who were involved with this at one stage. I have been told they got HP to do it all and no problems were encountered.

Hope this helps,

Good luck.

Regards,