5938 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PDC firmware upgrade

Rajesh R_2
Frequent Advisor

PDC firmware upgrade

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my HP L1000 series sever from HP-UX11.0 to HP-UX11i through fresh installation. HP has recommeded to upgrade the PDC firmware on my server to 41.38 and suggested the patch PHSS_25105.

I want to know if I can directly do the patch install or should I take care of some other issues also. Also I want to know if I can revert back to my older firmware version if there is any problem with the upgradation.
5 REPLIES 5
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Nowadays firmware patches are OS installable.
download the the patch which is meant for the OS you are currently on (11.00).
Verify the cksum values and install it.
You cannot backup exisiting firmware. If you want to roll back (not necessary) you can swremove this patch.

Basically the firmware patches modify the autoboot string temporarily and does the upgrade.
So, do not interupt during the reboots.

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Rajesh R_2
Frequent Advisor

Do you mean to say that we can carry out the activity on our own or we need HP support.
Secondly after installing the patch and in worst case if the system fails to boot can we revert back. (Since it is related to the PDC)
I came to know that this is possible by using bootable tape as well as through GSP. But i do not know the procedure for the same.
Does anybody have the procedure or are there any links available.
Thanking you in advance.
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

GSP update is different from system firmware update. For updating GSP you need to down load and keep the files under a FTP server(it could be even same server). Upto my knowledge you cannot revert back GSP update.
While downloading select the correct GSP revision. (there two revisions A &B). Most probably L1000 may be revision A.
See the PDF file coming along with GSP firmware.
For system formware there are two ways. One method is using firmware image tape, and second method is OS installable.
See the patch texts for more information.

PF_CRHW4428 - Installed through tape
PHSS_31800 - Os installable

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Rajesh,

The PDC firmware upgrade using OS patches are safe and reliable. You can install this patch to upgrade the PDC firmware.

But if you want to revert to the old firmware, I am afraid, You need to have another system board handy. This is because, removing the OS patch will not remove the firmware from PDC.

Therefore bear this in mind before the activity. AS I said earlier, the OS installable patches are reliable and they seldom create problems.

To know the pre-requisites of the firmware upgrade, read the patch text.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I would recommend to use patch PF_CRHW4428, because this patch updates your PDC to 44.28, the current version. You can find it inside itrc. Link: http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CRHW4428&context=firmware:cpu

Be sure to have GSP version B.02.20 or A.01.12, depending on your revision of GSP.
Type "he li" on GSP prompt to find your version.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!