1748122 Members
3465 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power Problem

GraceO
Regular Advisor

Power Problem

Has anyone ever heard of an rp3440 server 'sucking' so much power that the UPS trips? What could be the problem? The batteries in the UPS are new. We are not experiencing power problems, the UPS just trips off.
6 REPLIES 6
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Sorry. Can't help myself. Gotta do it:

That really sucks.

OK, now that we've got that out of the way, this doesn't sound right at all. Your rp3440 documentation should tell you what the maximum draw is and the UPS documentation should tell you what it is capable of providing. Unless the rp3440 is drawing more than it should or the UPS is providing less than it should, you should be OK.

The only thing I can think of to check is to make sure that the rp3440 is the only thing plugged into this UPS. If there is something else then you'll need to take the additional equipment's power requirements into account too. If everything seems to add up and supply exceeds demand and the UPS is still tripping (bad acid?? sorry, couldn't resist) then you're going to need to get an electrician in to analyze what is going on because you've got a potentially dangerous, unsafe situation.

Pete

Pete
GraceO
Regular Advisor

Where was my question moved to? Or, was it moved because it was not appropriate for any of the forum subject areas? Just curious.

I did not do the specs on the UPS, but was told it 'should' handle the load. I guess what you are saying is that it's not the server, but the UPS that is not right. (I didn't think it was the server, either.)

I'll go do my own calculations.

thanks!
IT Response
Esteemed Contributor

Grace,
The rp3440 has a maximum current requirement of 3.6A shared across both inputs at 230V, figure close to 8A at 110V. The theoretical maximum power dissipation is 1,350 Watts.

What is the make and model of your UPS? What other devices do you have plugged into it?

When you say the UPS "trips", I assume you mean that it is tripping it's input breaker, is this correct? (It's also possible that you could be "tripping" it into battery mode.)
GraceO
Regular Advisor

We have a TrippLite SmartOnline UPS (rack mounted). We have a bunch of other 'stuff' in the rack, too. I was told the UPS could handle the addition of the server. I just found out a few minutes ago that it's not the server, but the UPS that is giving us grief.

Thanks for the response.
GraceO
Regular Advisor

Turned out to not be a server problem after all. Thanks for all the responses
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

For future reference -- all modern UPS boxes will trip when the load exceeds the specs of the unit. The batteries have no effect on the UPS's ability to handle a load -- if the breaker trips or the overload light is lit, everyone has the correct answer. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks it will handle. Many data center planners guess or forget that important things like power factor. I'm from the old school and I would simply measure the amps drawn by each plug BEFORE putting the rack into service.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin