108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems connecting with the console on Hard Boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Greenhow
Occasional Advisor

Problems connecting with the console on Hard Boot

As you may not have read my previous posts, here is some background.

We have a HP 9000 d320. After installing HP-UX 11i, we have had numerous issues. At present, if you do a HARD BOOT, it takes you to the configuration screen for the network, but you cannot enter anything on the console.

If i attach a SAN, from a hard boot, it loads, errors and then reboots, at this point, if you remove the SAN, it lets you get to a console prompt where the CIMSERVER fails.

On first boot, you cannot even press a key when given 10 seconds to get to the boot menu.

My console is Hyper Terminal (comes with windows 2000) and the settings are as follows

Emulation is on AUTODETECT
Telnet Terminal ID is ANSI
Backscroll buffer is 500
Input translation is Shift JIS

Any ideas why the console does not enable input when I do a hard boot? any ideas to fix?

Cheers

Dave
6 REPLIES 6
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Is'nt there a level of firmware you need to be running your D320 on to fully support HP-UX 11i? (Or is it even supported at all?)

On my D390 -- I upgraded to firmware before installing 11i.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Dave Greenhow
Occasional Advisor

Sorry to sound stupid, but where on HPs web site do you go for Firmware for the D320? Its like looking for a needle in a haystack

Cheers

Dave
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Might be stupid'er to ask but you're aware that this boxen supports 11i at 32-bit don't you? Can't recall but is it possible youmight have installed the 64-bit version? Or this would have been impossible since it will detect at install time the model..

Sorry, it's been 2 years ago since I've installed 11i on an old D390 and cannot recall anymore where I got the firmware.
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I use HyperTerm as a console to an HP-UX machine without any problem.

My settings are:

Emulation - VT100
Telnet Term ID - VT100

The communication settings are "9600 8-N-1" as seen at the bottom of the Hyperterm screen.

Try those and see what happens.
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Dave, the latest f/w is 38.46 and I hope this is the right link for you

http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CULD3846&context=firmware:cpu

cheers
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Dave Greenhow
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all you help guys

The firmware enabled us to get to the command prompt

And then run set_parms got us to the net config part

Thanks very much

Dave