5451 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with 700/96 console during os install

Carlos Y├б├▒ez
Frequent Advisor

Problems with 700/96 console during os install

Hi,
I've got some issues when I tried to install hpux 11i on a k570 box due the console's keyboard behaviour. Although my efforts, the space, tab and enter keys don't as expected makign impossible any installation attempt.

The console works fine on N4000 machine next my box. The only difference i introduced was the use of the db9 serial port instead the db25 port used with the n4000. I changed the config on that matter but I kept all the other parameters to the standard.

During the boot sequence the keyboard worked O.K.. The problems appeared at the installation process.

Any ideas?.
Regards,
5 REPLIES 5
Pedro Cosmen
Valued Contributor

Hello Carlos,

Wich emulation are you using? HP-UX 11i is configured to use a VT emulation (and the numeric keys don't work fine).
Carlos Y├б├▒ez
Frequent Advisor

The terminal was set as "HP" Term.
The other box is running hpux11.00.

Setting the terminal as VT, it will work fine or it is preferable to use a ps keyboard?

Regards,
carlos Y├Г┬б├Г┬▒e
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You can't use any other keyboard on the 700/96 terminal. The keyboard uses an RJ-11 (U.S. telephone connector). The problem is not with the keyboard, it is with the emulation mode. Use the VT emulation when necessary.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Carlos Y├б├▒ez
Frequent Advisor

Ok.
Attached to the terminal I can use only the "bundled" keyboard but there's also a PS2 socket @ the server. I guess if can use this keyboard connection in paralell with the console or it is only reserved for the XWindow Mode.

Greetings,
Carlos Yanez S.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The PS2 connectors are only for use with Xwindows. There is no way for the hardware to accept keystrokes from the PS2 connector and then translate the text into serial output to a console.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin