Questions about the rp8400 I/O

SOLVED
Go to solution
Camilo Eid
Occasional Contributor

Questions about the rp8400 I/O

Hello,

I have some questions about the rp8400, any help will be appreciated:

1) Is it possible to have more than 2 CORE I/O cards per server ? I heard about a configuration with 4 cards.

2) I read that the rp8400 CORE I/O card has 2 LAN ports, are those ports useful for general purpose networking or only for the Management Processor ?

3) Is it possible to have more than 16 PCI slots on the rp8400 ? I heard about a Server Expansion Unit (SEU)that raises the PCI slots to 32, someone knows if it's already available, part number, etc. ?

Thank you.

Camilo Eid.
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about the rp8400 I/O

Chapter 1 should have most of your answers.

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-3603/5187-3603.html

Regards
Michael
"When I have trouble spelling, it's called fat finger syndrome"
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

1.) No.
2.) 1 Lan port (Gigabit) is for general purpose, the other is only for the Management Processor
3.) The rp8400 Backplane is designed to support external IO extenders in the future, but this is currently not supported and there is no release date announced.

Best regards

Stefan
Camilo Eid
Occasional Contributor

Stefan,

Do you know where can I find HP official availability/technical information for the rp8400 Server Expansion Unit (SEU) ? or email someone at HP to have an official statement about the SEU ?

Thank you.

Camilo Eid.

Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Camilo,

the Server Expansion Unit does not exist. Therefore no technical information exists about it. I have no information if it is planned to release it for the rp8400. IOX expansion cabinets currently only exist for Superdome servers.

Best regards

Stefan
Bob Brown_1
Frequent Advisor

It exists now...and with it you get 2 more core I/O cards (so an 8400 can have 4 core I/O cards and a total of 32 slots..you can also have a total of 4 npars instead of 2).

-Bob