4796 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: R380 hardware installation guide

sgreyling
Advisor

R380 hardware installation guide

Hi,
I have two very old R380 servers which I'm trying to get running again. I am thinking that the hardware is not setup correctly. Therefore I need some sort of a hardware guide on how to install the hardware in the cabinet. The whole system was taken apart when it was moved and I cannot get it running again.
Can someone just please point me in the right direction to a hardware path on how to install this servers in the cabinet.
The system contains two R380 servers, two CD-Rom drives and two DAT drives. Also two console monitors but one is not working.

Any replies will help.
Thank You,
Schalk
6 REPLIES 6
sgreyling
Advisor

Hi Again,

Let me also add:

I plugged in all equipment CD-Rom drives, DAT drive, console etc the way it should to my knowledge.
The problem I am having at the moment is that I cannot get the console to access the any one of the two servers. It seems that the servers boot up correctly with the message on the display unit (cant remember what is now, but last time I checked it was a success message) anyways... the console doesnt give me a prompt. I can only see the console details and options. It could may be that the console is not attached correctly. I am using a serial connection for the console. I do have photos that I can post of the server but not with me at the time.
Please help.
Regards,
Schalk
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

here you find documentatiojn about R-Class Servers:

http://docs.hp.com/en/hw.html#R-Class%20Server

Regarding the console connection:

There are two serial ports. Have you checked both ? Only one is the console port. It should work with Hyperterm / PC and a null modem cable.

best regards

Stefan
sgreyling
Advisor

Hi,

Thank for the reply Stefan.
Anyways, I have tried both serial ports, but nothing. Should I maybe disconnect everything from the server and only try the console?

Also, the attachment is a R380 back panel, but this shows that it has a PS2 keyboard and mouse plugs. Numbered 5 and 6. My servers doesnt have these connectors. Do I have an older version?

Regards,
Schalk
Crewescontrol
Frequent Advisor

Hi Schalk,

Just a quick thing to check.... If you are using a 700/96 Terminal, go to 'user system' on the top of the keyboard, then to 'modes' and make sure 'remote mode' has an asterix * by it by pressing f4. If it doesnt, you will not get any output on the console.

Cheers
sgreyling
Advisor

Hi AdamReece

Yes, I do have the 700.96 Terminal (very old). And I checked if the asterix were on the 'remote mode' and it wasn├в t. So I changed it but unfortunately still didn├в t connect with the server.

I have played around with a lot of those settings on the terminal with no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Schalk

Wow, I think the person that will be able to help me fix this will be awarded a lot of points.
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Did you verify that your teminal is working fine ?

Have you tried a PC/hyperterm with a nullmodem cable ?

What does the front panel show when you turn on the server ? You should normaly see the selftests passing until the console is initialized. Are there any codes displayed on the front panel starting with "FLT" ?

Maybe your R380 has a remote management ("access port") card. If I remember correctly then there is a switch on that card (service or normal). Try both settings. It should work in any case when setting to "service".
The you get to the access port menue by pressing CTRL-B on the console (make sure that your keybord language is set correctly, f.e. this does not work with a german keybord when set to default).

By the way: Try to set the terminal to default by turning it off, then hold the "d" key when turning it on again for some seconds. After that you should see a message "default config used".

good luck

Stefan