108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RP 7410 Dual core I/O problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jez Kadzewski
Frequent Advisor

RP 7410 Dual core I/O problems

I have RP7410 with two cell boards, two core I/O, two LAN SCSI boards both cells are core active. I can boot both partitions 0 & 1 to the Boot Console Handler but I can only see the boot devices on partition 0 partition 1 no devices found. Also the second MP is present but I can't access via LAN or console.

Can anyone help?
8 REPLIES 8
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, Did you check the status of the I/o chasis?? May be they are not turned ON or you have faulty PCI power supplies ( Located in front, just below the internal hard drives).

To check the status you can use PS or try PE command and turn them ON:

MP:CM> pe

select P for I/o cage and then select 0 or 1 and then turn them ON one by one.. then check the status of the devices. ( Since Core i/o is not installed in I/o chasis you could see them).

Please let me know the outcome...
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
Jez Kadzewski
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mirdul,

The PCI power supplies are both OK, & both I/O chassis are powered on. I have attached the I/O information for chassis 0 from partition manager. There seems to be a problem with the PCI bus on chassis 0 would this be the cause of the internal disks not being found on partition 1?

Thanks

Jez.
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I have seen this before. In my case the rp7410 core IO SCSI cabling was wired incorrectly. Each Core IO consists of two boards; the MP board and a LAN/SCSI PCI board. The LAN/SCSI board must be populated in the outermost slots of the PCI card cages in order for them to work with the two partitions. If this configuration you are trying to setup has never worked, be sure to check these cards.

Also worth noting is that the top drive slots are seen by cell/npar 1 while the bottom ones are assigned to cell/npar 0 (the DVD is only seen by cell/npar 1).

You will not be able to connect to your second MP board as there can only be one active at a time. By default the active one is in slot 1.

I hope this info helps you out.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Jez Kadzewski
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Both SCSI/LAN boards are located in the outermost slots, HP suggested that I changed the initiator address in the service menu on one of the SCSI boards which had no effect. They suggested that I deleted par1 & added the second cell to par0. All the PCI slots in par0 are available and ioscan claimed the dvdrom on the second SCSI/LAN. HP informed me that with both cells in one partition all four disk in the drive bays should be available is this true.

Thanks,

Jez.

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Yes, that is true. Each cell board has connectivity to one Core IO and one half of the IO chassis. Having one nPar with both cells would allow for connections to all IO slots available on an rp7410.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Yang Qin_1
Honored Contributor

How many disks are loaded? if only two, how these two loaded? left - right or top - bottom? Can you run "sea" from partition 0 and see how many disks you find there?
Jez Kadzewski
Frequent Advisor

There are four disk's two in top two in bottom from sea only the two top disks are available bottom two are not found.

I have updated all of the entities with the latest firmware, PDC, PCI, MP ect.
Jez Kadzewski
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I have had two RP7410 servers with this same problem I have now bought a new RP7410 server chassis & with the parts from the others i.e. MP, LAN, cell boards I have successfully created two partitions & installed HP UX 11.11 on both of them.

I am wondering if there is a glitch with some of the early versions of this server that has since been rectified.

Jez.