New Discussion юеВ

Re: RP 8400 Setup Woes

SOLVED
Go to solution
CSG Office
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

This may be a stupid question, but how can I tell if I have a RP8420 or and RP8400 server? The front of the server says RP8400, but that may just mean that it is a RP8400 series server.

Also, how do I set the dip switches on the card (A7109-84001 Rev C) for an:

RP8400?

RP8420?

I ask for both because I am still a little unsure of what type of server I have.

Thanks,

Brian Whyte

Marc Morin_2
Advisor

Bryan,

To confirm what kind of server you have you can do a MP:CM> sysrev command or use the MP:CM> id command and look at the model string. Also when you log into the MP as you should see a Welcome screen telling you what kind of server you have and the version of MP Firmware.

In the sysrev output if the cells dsplay PDC 17.008 then you have an rp8400. If the sysrev output displays cell FW as SFW then you have an rp8420.

The ID command will also confirm what model server you have.

Marc

CSG Office
Frequent Advisor

Hi Marc,

That is part of the problem. With one of the MP cards installed in the system, the MP welcome screen says we have an RP8420 and with another it says we have an RP8400. Is there a way that I can look at the physical parts to find out? I have tried the "sysrev" command and get different outputs depending on which MP card is in the system. I will try the ID command next.

Thanks,

Brian Whyte
Marc Morin_2
Advisor

Brian,

If you have an OS Booted the hardware path will tell you if you have an rp8400 or rp8420.

ioscan or at bch info I/O

rp8400 hardware path 0/0/8/0/0
rp8420 Hardware path 0/0/8/1/0

so you see the difference is the device parameter changes from a 0 to a 1.

Marc

Iain Ashley
Trusted Contributor

Hi Brian,
You will find the system's product number behind the front panel. The RP8420 product number is - A6912A

The RP8400 product number is A6093A

The other place to find this number is with the id command. This reads from stable storage, and should include the original and current product numbers (it will have an entry in the current only if it has been upgraded)

Regards
Iain Ashley
CSG Office
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I was told that the MP cards switch from an RP8400 to an RP8420 by switching the dip switches on the card. Anybody know the dip switch settings on the MP card to make it a RP8400? Currently,dip switch 1 and 2 are in the off setting.

Thanks,

Brian Whyte
Iain Ashley
Trusted Contributor

Hi Brian,
For RP8400 set the switch to ON ON
For all other servers set it to OFF OFF

All other servers include rp8420 and rx series.

Regards
Iain Ashley
CSG Office
Frequent Advisor

Hi All,

I would like to thank everyone for all of your help. All of our issues have been resolved.

Regards,

Brian Whyte