1753546 Members
5462 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RP2450 Attention Light (NO GSP)

Scott Frye_1
Super Advisor

RP2450 Attention Light (NO GSP)

Any suggestions on how I can determine why my attention light is on for my rp2450. This box does not have a GSP.

Thanks

Scott
15 REPLIES 15
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Scott,

Actually it does - it's just not as obvious as it is on larger systems.
There are 2 ways to access the console on your system:

1) The "Console/UPS" port - this is a DB-25 port onto which you connect the DB-25 ==> DB-9 x 3 cable. One of the DB-9s is labled console & will give you serial console access.
2) The LAN-console port - this is a standard 100BT network connection. It runs 100 full-duplex & the default IP is normally 127.0.0.1 So use a "turnaround" cable to your laptop and set your IP up for 127.0.0.2 or such & access the console over the LAN.

Once you access the console use ctrl-B to get to the GSP. From there enter CM for the Command Menu & then SL for the Service Logs & that'll clear the light.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Scott Frye_1
Super Advisor

Thanks Jeff,

After much research and a great document (http://docs.hp.com/en/2411/rp24xx_customer.pdf) I found that yes it does have a GSP. I understand the RJ45 connection, but the (what we refer to as the) 'pig tail' cables, one is marked remote... I'm assuming this is the one I would use for the GSP. If I plug our console into this, the keyboard does nothing. If I plug it into the one labled console, this is the normal console, but I can not do a cntrl-b.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Scott,
Actually the pigtail has a port labeled "Console" and you will want to use that to connect to the GSP.

The pigtail port for Remote is for a Modem. The UPS port, well, that's obvious.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, I was interrupted and lost my train of thought there, and didn't complete my message.

You say that you can't do a CTRL-B when connected to the console port. What happens? Can you see normal console activity, can you log in? What are you using to communicate, PC or dumb terminal? What do you have for protocol? You'll want 9600, 8, none and one. Give some more specifics so we can help to diagnose your issue.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Scott Frye_1
Super Advisor

Timmy,

Nothing happens when I do a CNTL-B. We use this terminal for several servers, just unplug it from one and move it to another. I can access the GSP on other servers using this terminal. I'm going to do the RJ45 connection and see if things are configured. One of the other admins here said when the server was put in, the HP rep said there was no GSP. I'm thinking it is still set at the defaults.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Scott,
All rp2450 servers come with the GSP. There isn't anything to configure for the connection to be seen on the W-Cable, it's always there. When the terminal is connected, you should be able to hit return and get a login prompt. The CTRL-B takes you out of the normal "console" connection and puts you into the GSP.

You mention that you use this terminal for other servers, are you using in on other units from HP?
Scott Frye_1
Super Advisor

Yep, rp 5470's
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Scott,
Are you getting a console login on this system with the console connected? I know you aren't getting a response from CTRL-B, but do you at least get a prompt for login?

If not, can you power this server down and remove the power cord for a short while, say 30 seconds, to reset the GSP? The GSP always has power applied to it if there is a live power cord connected to the server, no matter what position the white "on/off" push button switch is in. (This switch should be called "standby/run" and not "on/off")

Let us know if this has any effect.

Also, regarding the comment about this system not having a GSP: It may be more appropriate to have said that this system may not have a Secure Web Console. The SWC is an option on this product. You would find an A5858A card in slot 2 if you have the SWC.

Good Luck - Tim
Scott Frye_1
Super Advisor

Yes, I have console access, I can log on to the console for this server. CTRL-B returns nothing, just a new line. I've noticed a GSP reset on the back of the card. I'm wondering if pushing the reset would get me going.