cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RP3440 PCI and PCIx mixed?

Craig A. Sharp
Super Advisor

RP3440 PCI and PCIx mixed?

Am I able to mix a PCI FC card and a PCIx nic on the same system? Are there any performance issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks,

Craig
4 REPLIES 4
HGN
Honored Contributor

Re: RP3440 PCI and PCIx mixed?

Hi

Iam not aware of any performace issue, we are using PCI FC & PCI Nic card on various systems

Rgds

HGN
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Every slot is on a dedicated bus. No card will influence another. So you can use PCI-X and PCI cards.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please refer to the quickspecs -
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12035_div/12035_div.HTML

and suggestion on using the I/O slots -

The four open PCI-X slots all have their own dedicated 64-bit 133-MHz PCI-X bus and their own independent I/O channel or channels. The independent channels provide improved I/O performance and error containment. Independence protects each I/O card from bus hangs or extended latencies due to the failure or high bandwidth demands of other I/O cards. Independence also ensures that each I/O card can achieve maximum throughput.

The first PCI-X slot has two dedicated I/O channels, resulting in sustained PCI-X bandwidth of 1.0 GB/s. This slot should be reserved for the highest bandwidth cards, such as clustering interconnects or multi port storage adapters. The remaining three PCI-X slots each have a single dedicated I/O channel, resulting in 0.5 GB/s of sustained bandwidth on each slot.

All I/O slots are keyed for 3.3V I/O cards. 5V cards are not supported in the HP 9000 rp3440.

Also you can use the Multi function cards PCI-X 2Gb Fibre Channel / 1000BaseT
PCI-X 2-port 2-Gb Fibre Channel/2-port 1-Gb Ethernet Adapter
etc.

Regards,
Ninad
Sung Oh
Respected Contributor

Hi Craig,

PCI FC card will be limited by PCI FC standard speed not bus speed and PCIx will be limited by your lan card speed. either case your system will not be impacted by performance of each PCI or PCIx devices.

Regards,
Sung