3574 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RP3440 errors

BUPA IS
Respected Contributor

Hello,
The rp3440 has two processor sockets. From the output given it shows socket 0 occupied with a PA8800 900Mhz chip and both of halves of the dual core present.
The rp3440 will run happily with one module in socket 0. The PIM and the OS see this as two processors.
The IA flags from the df command are mostly zeros showing that no IA features are in use. I get the same IA flag strings on my working one.

If a second core is installed in the other socket it must have the same speed and cache size as the first one other wise they will argue and may not work at all.
I presume you have had the cover off an can see that socket 1 is empty which what the df ouput indicates .
I would not suspect the cpu at this point. Try swapping the suspect memory module to another location . eg 1b with 0a if the errors move exactly with the DIMM then replace the memory. If the error stays put or wanders randomly around the slots as we had a few weeks ago then suspect a faulty mother board .
When you display the SL logs you can enter the letter T for text which will interpret the display in a more readable form .

I hope this is of some use.

Mike .

Help is out there always!!!!!
Eric Firkey
Regular Advisor

There is only one cpu module in this system. The dual core pa8800 800MHz processor in slot 0. Slot 1 is empty. I have tried a different memory kit and when I do that I still get mismatched cpu errors which I don't understand unless there needs to be another dual core module in slot 1.

Does there need to be another processor in slot 1?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Can you please read the model number from the chassis label? (e.g. A7137A)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Eric Firkey
Regular Advisor

A7137A on the pull tag
BUPA IS
Respected Contributor

Hello,

One of ours ran happily for three years with one cpu dual core module in slot 0 until we added another one. So no you do not need the second dual core unit. Your firmware is only slightly behind.

Do you still get the memory errors ?

The DF output you posted lists it as 900 Mhz processor, but PIM lists it as 800Mhz which something I have not seen before.

As the new memory has not cured the problem, The question is do you have a mother board fault or is it the cpu module?
Since both memory and cpu errors show up my leaning would be to change the mother board before I tried the cpu.

Mike

Help is out there always!!!!!
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

I think the server rp3440 should have PA8900 CPU and the system will run with only one CPU in socket 0.

Per FPL, I see there are corrected errors reported against DIMM 1B. I would first fix the CPU issue and would check if the DIMM errors are still seen. Not sure if both DIMMs in the pair were replaced. If not,I would replace the other half of the pair i.e DIMM 1A.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What partnumber does the CPU modul have? Was another CPU installed before?
Maybe you have a similar problem like in the thread posted in the first reply.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Eric Firkey
Regular Advisor

I put a different memory quad in it and still got mismatched processors error
Eric Firkey
Regular Advisor

The model number my processor reported from BCH -> in -> pr was 0x0895

The person in the thread mentioned 0x0896 as being pa8900
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Do you still see the memory corrected errors in the FPL after replacing the quad?

I meant to say in my earlier reply was that the system is supposed to have PA8900 CPU. Since the actual installed CPU is PA8800, you see the CPU mismatch error. If your choice is to using PA8800 CPU only, then the system "downgrade" is needed.