HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748204 Members
4143 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RP7410 Invalid Cell Board

MARK WILLIS

RP7410 Invalid Cell Board

This is probablly a real hardware problem at the cell board but wanted to make sure. When I look at my cell board (1), it indicates everything is fine, except the one line that states "Cell Board INVALID". I swapped it with another cell board and I get the same thing. I'm unable to set my partition 0 to use cell board (1) when defining the Corecell. So, anyone have this issue before? I also checked the Cab, Backplane and everything else, and they all come back saying it sees the Cell Board (1) and indicates all the processors and memory. I even replaced the Core I/O card...still the same stuff. Anyway, just wondering if there was a good way to troubleshoot this issue before calling in HP.
7 REPLIES 7
Bill Colley
Frequent Advisor

Re: RP7410 Invalid Cell Board

Mark,

There is too much information you are not giving.
Best bet is to call HP.
Is this a new system that has never been set up or was this working before?
How many cells in the system?
Normally on a RP7410 partition 0 consists of cell 1. If cell 0 exists, it can be added to partition 0 or create a second partition consisting of just cell 0.
If the system is new, has a Genesis Partition ever been generated on this system?
If you call HP they can help you determine what your problem is.

Bill
Hi, there
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

This may not be a hardware problem, but a problem with your partition profile or perhaps a configuration issue?

First off, where do you see the error?
What is the state of the system? Can you interact with the BCH or can you not even able to create a partition?

In order to create a partition, as you may know, you need a cell board with processors and memory, a core IO board, and a PCI chassis. If you want to use cell 1 you need to have a core IO board in slot 1 (bottom).

So what is your configuration?

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

You genrally need to make sure the Firmware revisions of the board whenever you add or replace the boards. The backplane/cell board firmware must match in order to continue.
Once when I added a cell to the exisiting partition, it was joined. After firmware upgrade it's all OK. As suggested check your configuration. Hardware failures are very very low now a days...

Regds

TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
MARK WILLIS

HP is coming in today, in tryinig to answer all the replies (and thanks much!) I can create partition (0), but cannot reference Cell (1). I can do a Corecell and make Cell (0) my primary, but can never create the Genisis partition and have it reference the default Cell (1). I'm running FW at 4.2 on both, and both cells are populated with the same speed processors (875) and memory. I even swapped the cells, and everything remains the same, even after power recycles. I added new Core I/O borad to the bottom slot, still no luck. I will be curious to see what HP finds today, as I'm sure each of you will. Thanks again.
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I did have a similar problem where no matter what I could not modify my existing profile. What ended occuring in my case was the core IO had been replaced in an incorrect manner (the board must be replaced hot-swap in a specific procedure) and the profile got "confused". In the end I had to clear the NVRAM of the core IO and "replace" it the correct way (which is to bring down partitions to BIB via RR and hot swap core IO).

But, since HP is scheduled you have no reason to muck with it...just thought I would share my experience! No points needed here.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
MARK WILLIS

Thanks to all of you that replied. I was a bad cell board. Replaced the board with the same processors and memory and we are back in business. Rare, but h/w does fail from time to time. Good thing it was still under contract.
MARK WILLIS

Issue resolved.