108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RP7410 Power

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan Matlock_1
Regular Advisor

RP7410 Power

Quick question? We have a rp7410 with 4 x power connections/supplies.... Question is will the server run on 2? We have to re-do the rack its in and the question is whether to use 2 large PDUs (50/50 split on the 4 power connections) or to use 4 smaller PDUs and simply connection 1-to-1 and on different circuits.

I seem to remember on older N-Class with 3, you could loose one and run on 2, but not sure on the newer servers with 4 power supplies.

Real question is how many can I loose of the 4 and still keep server running???
5 REPLIES 5
Josiah Henline
Valued Contributor

Re: RP7410 Power

Is the system loaded with processors?
If at first you don't succeed, read the man page.
Josiah Henline
Valued Contributor

HP operates on the N+1 concept. This means that the system can lose one and keep going; however, that is for a fully loaded system. If you are not running a fully loaded system, you may be able to run on two power supplies.
If at first you don't succeed, read the man page.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I just spoke with our sysadmin and reminded him that we dealt with the very same concept (on the same exact box) before. He replied that it has something to do with how many procs and therefore cell boards you have (ours are full), but he thinks he recalls that it in a fully populated system it takes only 2 to run, but it takes three to boot.

Of course, you'd have to test it to find out. If all you have is production servers, and you can't test, let me know, and I can probably get a quick test in for you within the up and coming week if you must.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Dan,

following the N+1 concept, your rp7410 has 2 bulk power supplies, 1 is for redundancy.

But there are 4 power inputs.

One pair is A0 + B0, another pair is A1+B1.

You can safely remove either A0+B0 or A1+B1.

Have a look at this command:

MP:CM> pwrgrd

Caution, this is different for a rp8400!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dan Matlock_1
Regular Advisor

thanx