1752772 Members
4864 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RP8400 SPOFs

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I believe that you're right.

:-)
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
James Anker
Valued Contributor

Mike & Josh are both right or at least they will be. Any day now HP will release a second twin I/O card cage/Core I/O board that will allow the RP8400 to support 4 x Hard Partitions using its 4 x Cell boards. Other change include the next generation of PA RISC that will have 2 x CPU cores on one physical CPU (like Power 4 from IBM) the RX version of the RP8400 will be released called the RP8620 - this will also have dual CPU's in the very near future based on IA64 but this version will rely on a daughter board and hence be S/W licensed as 2 x CPU's not one as in the PA RISC version. The same will happen in the RP7410 - This will be called the RP7620 under Itanium and again will double up on the number of CPU's.

Therefore:

RP7410 will be 16 x way capable
RP8400 will be 32 x way capable

There are other changes in the RP5400 space two if anyone interested...?

Cheers

James

Cheers

James
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

There's a reason why I'm called...

....the man of steel.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

In the interest of being fair, HP had promised 4 partitions for the rp8400 long ago, and the SEU, as James pointed out will increase the capabilities of the rp8400/rx8620 to 4 nPartitions. See here:

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/hw/index.html#Server%20Expansion%20Unit

This would create other SPOFs, with the cable between the Server and SEU. The User Service guide seems to indicate only one cable. Also, the Board that the cable connects to would be the other.

-Josh
What are the chances...
Nico Schockaert
Trusted Contributor

Hello,
Today you can have 4 npars on the rp8400 :
"The new rp8400 Server Expansion Unit (SEU) is orderable as of September 8th. The 9U high SEU will double the number of rp8400 I/O slots from 16 to 32, the number of integrated discs from 4 to 8, the number of integrated removable media devices from 2 to 4, and enables the doubling of hard partitions from 2 to 4."
Hope this helps,
Nico