108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RP8400 configuration issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
JOHN TURNER_2
Frequent Advisor

RP8400 configuration issues

we have a 8400 that has been configured as just one server using one cell. We have 4 internal disks attached to the server however the system only picks up two of the 4 disks. The other two disks are coming up as faulty, but when they are plugged into one of the working disk slots, they are fine.

Is there anyway of configuring these other disks, so that the server sees all 4 disks

Cheers

John
GUI's are for wimps!
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

The internal disk are connected to the MPs and Cells. You need to have a second cell and a second MP to use this slots.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

If you only have one cell, this only has one I/O chassis connected to it, and one set of internal devices using one MP card.
To use the second internal set you would need to upgrade your server.

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Chan 007
Honored Contributor

John,

Try giving ioscan (without n) option, some times n will limit the scan.

or try using sam.

Chan
Shahul
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

RP8400 is a server which can be partitioned. So, the architecture is, it will have two cell boards in it, Out of 4 internal hard disks, 2 will be connected to one cell board and the other 2 to second cell board.

If the client is not planning to have a partition, they may buy the server with only one cell board, I think you are here.

Two get the 3rd and 4th hard disks listed in ioscan, you need to get IInd cell board. Your hard disks are all right.

Please also remember, if you are getting a second cell board, the version should match with existing cell board.

Hope this helps,

Regards
Shahul
Alastair Donaldson
Frequent Advisor

Like everyone else has stated you will need a 2nd cell board (along with CPU's and memmory) to see these disks. This will be quite an expensive solution.

You will be better off getting a DiskArray 2100 or 2300 shelf and an LVD SCSI card. You will be able to take the bottom 2 disks (the ones that would be on cell 1 if you had it) and place them into the disk array.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

First off I'd ask just why the heck your HP salesman sold you an rp 8400 w/4 disks & *only* one cell board when they knew dang well you couldn't use the other 2 HDDs!!
Then as Alastair points out a 2nd cell is not a cheap solution, BUT, make sure the JBOD you may think about buying is compatible with the drives in an rp 8400. I know that the DS2xxx line IS, but they're no longer current. So check whether the MSA series is BEFORE you buy one.

My $0.02,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!