1748108 Members
4655 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Racking rp5470 into IBM NetBAY 42

Nick Parmley
Occasional Contributor

Racking rp5470 into IBM NetBAY 42

Just wondering whether anyone has accomplished this. Rack depth shouldn't be an issue but there is a severe shortage of information regarding the requirements of of rail kits.
Any info appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Racking rp5470 into IBM NetBAY 42

Nick:

You might want to explore :

A5556A -- Field Rackmount Kit-slides rx5670 rp54x1

price (I think) about UK Poiunds 100..

HTH

Phillip
The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
Nick Parmley
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phillip,

Appreciate the response this looked like our only option.

I was hoping somebody had tried it and could re-assure me somewhat before commiting myself to the purchase.

Regards,

Nick Parmley
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You obviously don't appreciate the engineering solutions possible with a sufficient quantity of duct tape. The other (though less creative) option when no off the shelf installation/rail kit is available is to use light angle iron available from a build supply store. I have used that stuff on occasion when fitting what would otherwise be imcompatible equipment into a rack and that has worked very well.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Some day Clay I'd love a tour of your data center(s). I know I'd feel right at home.
But...sigh....I'd be shot dead by the Ops Mgr if I even approached the building with duct tape or off-the-shelf angle iron and a drill. =~))

Ahhh, it's good to be back. I hate to admit it, but I've missed all you mopes!
But sunning on the beach in FLA USA was worth it and those Mai Tais made the "pain" go away....at least until the next morning.

Cheers,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Nick,

I racked an rp5470 into a Dell (rittal) rack before, not sure if it's similar. I would call HP, as they have a list of contacts for 3rd party racks for their servers.

What's the Part number for your rack?

Josh
What are the chances...
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Here's a couple of things to note about the rp5400 series:

The rp5400 uses front to back airflow, so a solid rear door cannot be used.

The depth of the standard HP rack is 39 inches, so make sure your rack is deep enough to hold it.

Josh
What are the chances...
Nick Parmley
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your input. We are guessing this will work and will take delivery of the rackmount kit tomorrow to determine this.

Appreciate everyone's responses I will update the thread with the answer as it becomes apparent in the next day or so in case anyone else tries this.

Regards,

Nick Parmley