1752703 Members
5449 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Remote Console Serial Port

Des Albert_1
Occasional Contributor

Remote Console Serial Port

Although I understand that HP recommends not using the remote console as a serial port, the question I have been asked is whether it works ? I found a cookbook on connecting a modem to an N-Class at http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/hp/2001-q1/0043.html and would like to know whether this basically works
2 REPLIES 2
Tobias Hartlieb
Trusted Contributor

Re: Remote Console Serial Port

Hi,

the Remote Console port is intended for use with modem (and only modem) for Remote access to the system. However, this port is not directly attached to the system but rather goes through the Service processor (GSP) for communicating with the host. Thus Configuration of this port is very limited...check GSP>ER and GSP>CA commands.

Regards.
Tobias
Stefan Stechemesser
Honored Contributor

Re: Remote Console Serial Port

HP only supports the HP Support Link Modem on this ports. However it is possible to connect other devices, but you have to keep in mind that this is a remote console port. You can switch between a HPUX used serial port (thats what you are looking for) or the "GSP" mode which gives you full console and GSP control (You can power off the server via this port). Strange and dangerous things may happen if someone enables the remote console via the "ER" command and a serial device talks to this port. You should also know that this port is not a standard port. Only selected speeds and handshake methods are available. Tests have only be done with the HP Supportmodem.

Best regards

Stefan