cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Port

Kim Jue_1

Remote Port

I have heard that HP does not support use of the remote port as a generic port. I have, now two different customers trying to use our product on a remote port of a rp5400 series machine to no avail. I know we need to kill gettys and GSP, but are there other things I need to look out for in trying to use tty0p2 as bi-directional serial port, no hardware handshake, at 1920. This works on our A500
with the "W" cable.
3 REPLIES 3
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Remote Port

The remote port on a rp5400 connects to the GSP, AKA, the Guardian Service Processor. The GSP is a firmware driven device similar, (* in a remote way, pun *) to the BIOS on a PC that allows for HW administration of the server only. So configuration of this port if throught the GSP.

See below for GSP command set:

Here's is HP's published definition:

"...Remote access: As with previous HP server systems, an RS-232 interface for a remote console that is useful for obtaining help from HP service experts. Customers need only add a modem to allow remote access via phone: security is ensured by having to explicitly enable remote access, which is protected with a password, and via dial-back phone verification..."

#####################################

Remote
MR
Modem Reset

Remote
MS
Display the status of the Modem

Remote
PC
Remote Power Control

Remote
UR
Unlock remote support modem access
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Kim Jue_1

My understanding is that if GSP has control of this port I cannot use it, only the GSP, who I think is expecting a modem, not a device that will be transmitting and receiving binary data,is this true, if so can I disable GSP and just use the port like any other tty device?
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Put a password on the GSP.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law