108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Power Off

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe Keegan_3
Occasional Contributor

Remote Power Off

I am looking for a command that will shutdown the OS and power off the hardware in HP-UX 10.20, 11.0 & 11i.

Solaris has the init 5 command that does exactly that (assuming a sun4u). But I can't seem to find a command for HP-UX. I've tried shutdown -h, but it just halts the OS.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Joe
9 REPLIES 9
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

The newer systems with GSPs have this ability in the GSP itself with it's PC command. These would be systems like the L & N class & all the rpXXXX systems. You have to access the console via serial or LAN however to do this. Cannot be done with a normal telnet into the system through the metwork.
Unfortunately the older systems do no have this capability at all.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

None that I can think of. The GSPs on our rp24xx systems have Power Control, but nothing at the OS level.
--
Jeff Traigle
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

First - why would you want to do this? If you are doing maintenance on the system - you have to physically be there anyways.

There isn't a command in HP-UX to turn off power - but you can connect to the GSP/MP and do it from there on most newer class servers (RP's' A,L, N's).

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It is a good thing that HP boxes don't have this ability. Otherwise I would have too much fun with it. :)

JP
Joe Keegan_3
Occasional Contributor

Our AC has been going out a bunch lately and our facilities people are looking into it.

We are looking for solutions to shutdown our machines to reduce the amount of heat produced when the AC goes out. Our HP systems are our biggest heat producers.

While we do plan on trying to add this capability to our monitoring system and maybe get something COTS. With budget, planning, and testing it might be some time before we get a clean solution.

Our short term solution is to have whoever is on call shutdown the systems remotely before the heat becomes a major issue.

It's a stop-gap solution to try and prevent our computer room reaching 117F again.

Thanks for your answers. I'll look into the GSP.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Joe,

Check your UPS. APC, for example, has a network management card that you can set up to monitor temperature. I haven't looked very deep into it, but I assume that you can set it up to take an action when the temp reaches a certain level, like shutting down and removing power to the machine.

Pete

Pete
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor
Solution

Joe,
Server can remotely powered ON & OFF as follows:
Access the Console:
Pres to go to GSP
GSP> PC
This command is for power control
Then it will prompt you to power ON the server if it is off and power OFF the server if it is on.
This feature has proved to be usefull for me atleast for shutting down the remote server and power them on after sometime. Useful when maintenance other server is to be carried out (like UPS, AC etc). I neednot have to be personnaly present at the location.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

This is something I always wanted HP to do.
Till then, you are only at option of using PC grom GSP.

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The vast majority of HP 9000 computers have no remote power control. Since you are still running 10.20, 100% of those machines do not have power control because 10.20 will not run on any new machines with power control. Loss of AC can cause very serious damage to all computers, printers, disks and tape drives. Once overheated, some of your computing devices will become erratic. I would start with a high temperature circuit breaker, set to about 100-105 deg F which removes all power to the entire room (and requires manual intervention to turn it back on). You can also purchase LAN-based power strips which can pull the plug remotely.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin