5051 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI DISK on K210 K class HP PARISC

stephan lidanski
Occasional Advisor

SCSI DISK on K210 K class HP PARISC

Hello,
I have two HP disks manufactured by Seagate 9GB HOT SWAP with convertor to 68pin cable.
I want to put in 18GB SCSI LVD/SE Quantum, but the the server doesn't recognize the disk!!!Please help
the model of 18gb is KN18L011 Quantum Atlas IV
7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

disks for a K-Class servers are HVD SCSI - this is not compatible to LVD/SE.
Connecting LVD disks to a HVD controller may destroy the disks!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
stephan lidanski
Occasional Advisor

But the 9GB disks are SCSI LVD, is it possible converter to be a LVD to HVD?
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

They may have a convertor on the 9gb's, but I wouldnt recommend trying to fit it on the 18's really.

I would buy the proper hp 18gb disks for the K class. These are A4909A part number and are def going to work rather than risk blowing the disk/controller or core io card on the K class due to voltage difference

http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partinfo&template=main&cpric=uk&psrchmode=&partsrch=A4909A&submit.x=7&submit.y=6

Andy
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The K-class computers have no HOT SWAP disks. You have to disassemble the front of the computer and pull out the storage module containing the disks, CDROM and tape (if installed). Perhaps you are referring to an external storage box. The old K-class (and D-class) came with high-voltage fast-wide-differential SCSI disks and often used HV-FWD interfaces to talk to external HP storage boxes. There are several SCSI standards and all but one can be compatible with the others. HV-FWD is completely incompatible with all other SCSI disks.

Your K210 is extremely old by today's standards and most important, HV-FWD disks have not been manufactured by anyone for many years. You can buy used HV-FWD from some vendors but they must specialize in HP servers as no one else will know what you are talking about. There are HV-FWD adapters but these cost as much as a replacement disk.

To add more disk space to your K-210, you'll need to use the single-ended SCSI I/O card (if you have one), or find the HV-FWD 18Gb or 26Gb disks on the used market.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
rick jones
Honored Contributor

And so, unless you are tied to ancient SW on the K210, it might be better to find a used A500 or rp24XX system, which will likely run rings around your K210, and come with rather more storage than presently in your K210.

Or if you have the budget, a new rp34XX or Integrity system.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
stephan lidanski
Occasional Advisor

It is my home toy. I have and C3650, but I want to add more disks to K210...
I am limited to finance also:(
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Ahh, then the K-series is a good choice. Although it takes a lot of power, the parts are quite cheap and there are many used comuter dealers that sell them.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin