108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI conflict (?) on "new" rp8400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Doug Lucy
Advisor

SCSI conflict (?) on "new" rp8400

I am trying to stand up a "new" rp8400 that has been idle since it was delivered years ago. The machine is physically connected, but has never been powered on. I've got to demonstrate our Ignite tapes will read on the machine in the event of disaster recovery.

I'm having what seems to be a SCSI conflict. When I boot and SEArch for bootable devices, the DVD drive with the install CD in it does not appear in the bootable path list. The other devices do, but not my DVD.

If I removed all other bootable devices, the DVD drive shows up and I can, indeed, boot from it. Wacky.

I've played around with the SCSI IDs a bit, but not had much luck. Is there something big I'm missing?

Devices:

* Tachyon FC card connected to VA7410 Vitual Array (turned off at the moment) directly; no FC switch.

* internal DVD drive

* internal DAT drive

* (2) internal LVD hard disks

* external LTO1 autoloader

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

a scsi conflict is unlikely, because the internal DVD drives are on a separate bus.
Try to use the hw-path directly:

>boot 0/0/0/2/1.2
(upper)

> boot 1/0/0/2/1.2
(lower)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Doug,

Is this rp8400 Npar'd up into more than one cell?
If so the DVD may be residing in a cell other than zero. If that's the case you'll need to either:
1) Move the SCSI cable into cell zero.
2) Wipe out the Npar info such that the entire system occupies cell zero.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Doug Lucy
Advisor

It certainly is possible that someone Npar'ed it to more than one cell. When I log in to MP and look at "consoles" or "vfp", I only see cell 0. Any chance the machine is partitioned, but the second cell isn't showing on these lists?

If so, what's the quickest way to wipe out the partition info and get back to just one cell (with no plans to partition in the future)?

One note: there are two MP console cards installed in the machine. I'm using the uppermost one. I haven't tried the lower card yet.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Doug,
At the CM prompt, type the command cp. This will show you your cells and their relationship to defined partitions.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Doug,
Reply with the output of the CP command, and whether your DVD is in the upper or lower bay on the front the rp8400.

Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Doug Lucy
Advisor

I tried using CM->CP and found there is only one cell and only one partition.

Moving the DVD-ROM to the topmost of the two media slots worked: both devices are available for boot.

Thanks for the help!