Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP and alert configuration in MP

siva baskaran
Regular Advisor

SNMP and alert configuration in MP

hi,

how to configure the SNMP by which can able to filer and send the HPMC or mentioned alter levels logs to concern person automatically.

and as well as by through O.S level also.

thanks
siva

2 REPLIES 2
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Re: SNMP and alert configuration in MP

Dear Siva:

And other Forum members, correct me if I'm wrong but a High Priority Machine Check (HPMC) will result in a reboot after panic due to a CPU problem. So you're not going to miss an HPMC. A basic SNMP or ping agent is going to detect any server reboot which will be recorded in /var/tombstones/'ts99' or for Itanium servers /var/tombstones/MCA (I think it's MCA) as well as in a savecrash. (The ts99 or MCA file can be easily forwarded but not the savecrash.) So my question is, the helpdesk is going to be automatically notified anyway after a server panic which is the usual result of an HPMC. And the helpdesk is going to call the on duty admin., who will be required to immediately log in. And, as I stated above, you're not going to miss the HPMC.

As for finding a SNMP agent to filter and sent HPMC information automajically, I don't think there is one. Perhaps by design.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Re: SNMP and alert configuration in MP

Michael you are correct (although an HPMC could be the result of many things like memory, IO, runway bus not just a CPU). I believe there may have been some thoughts around having EMS handle and try to interpet HPMCs and thus be able to create an alert (via email and/or SNMP). I have not seen this come to fruition at all though and this was a few years ago.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!