1753482 Members
4108 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: STM will not start

Dane Van Steenwyk
Frequent Advisor

That sounds a lot more like where the problem is stemming from. I will get with my IT guy tomorrow and see what we can figure out. Again another area out of my league. Im just setting up a system for testing hardware and downloading patches so I wanted to get all this working on the same machine so I don't have to use one for ftp and one for testing. I will post what I find out tomorrow after I show my IT guy what you told me. Thanks again!!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you have a server, you need to have a fixed IP.

A reason for your problem could be the name resolution. Check the result of

hostname

and the resolution

nslookup

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dane Van Steenwyk
Frequent Advisor

Hi Torsten,

Here are the resulst of those commands. I guess I don't know what to look for. It looks like the name server adress is wrong. Is there a way to change it??
Dane Van Steenwyk
Frequent Advisor

Sorry I accidentally hit submit before attaching results. Here they are:
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Based on the nslookup results, you need to change the /etc/nsswitch.conf file to:

passwd: files
group: files
hosts: files [NOTFOUND=continue TRYAGAIN=continue] dns
networks: files
protocols: files
rpc: files
publickey: files
netgroup: files
automount: files
aliases: files
services: files

Now your /etc/hosts will be checked first, then DNS. The 2004 install is quite old so I would download the latest diagnostics package from:

http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayInstallInfo.do?productNumber=B6191AAE

This should help get things working. Also, to eliminate complicated network issues with Xwindows, make sure DISPLAY is unset before running stm. It will default to the character mode version of stm. If this works, you'll need to get Xwindows working first.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dane Van Steenwyk
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the input. I can't find that /etc/nsswitch.conf file but I found a /etc/nsswitch.files that looks like what you were telling me about. However, it will not let me edit it. Do I need to or is there any way to do that?? See attatchment.

Thanks again!!

Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Dane,

The nsswitch.files is just an example, copy the nsswitch.files to the nsswitch.conf and change the host line. Be sure to login as root.

# cp /etc/nsswitch.files /etc/nsswitch.files

hosts: files [NOTFOUND=continue TRYAGAIN=continue] dns

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Dane Van Steenwyk
Frequent Advisor

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. We are getting somewhere now. I can get into STM now after copying and changing the nsswitch.conf files but it says no system under the map. Here is what the UI Activity log says...

Any thoughts??
Dane Van Steenwyk
Frequent Advisor

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your help!! I got it figured out. I just edited the /etc/nsswitch.conf file then stopped stm then restarted stm and all is GOOD!!

Thanks again for all the replies!!