1752498 Members
5452 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Serial console no longer works, goes in MP menus instead

Unixnerd
Occasional Contributor

Serial console no longer works, goes in MP menus instead

HP RP5440 on 11.11. Always had an HP serial terminal, never any bother. Can still network into machine as normal.

When we try to use the serial terminal it now goes into the MP Main Menu. For some reason the normal HP-UX console no longer works. Have read other posts about this and checked what I've found. getty for console is running and will respawn if killed, /etc/inittab not changed as far as I know, no fancy security set up.

The machine is in a different country to me and the user who is at the console isn't an HP-UX expert. We've tried starting a console from within the MP menus to no avail.

All help appreciated!

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX>General to servers > HP 9000. -HP Forum Moderator

Who needs a life when you've got Unix?
3 REPLIES 3
S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi ,

Is this issue got resolved?

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
PANDIAN_1
Regular Visitor

Firstly, to get into the MP prompt one need to access the MP via a telnet session to the MP IP address (if configured) or via a direct serial connection using a text terminal.

To enter the OS console from the MP prompt type "co" and press enter.

MP>co

I work for HP
PANDIAN_1
Regular Visitor

The server model given is rp5440. There seems to be a typo. I guess it would be one of the following models and is a HP9000 Server using PA-RISC CPUs.

rp5400, rp5405, rp5430, rp5450, rp5470 .

If it is one of them, then that server has the service processor called Guardian Service processor (GSP) and not MP.

So, ideally the user/administrator would see a GSP prompt. Type "co" to enter the HP-UX console.

GSP> co

Hope this helps.

I work for HP