Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server rebooting after HPUX 11 install

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin Swanner
Occasional Contributor

Server rebooting after HPUX 11 install

I just installed HPUX 11 on a B160L (256MB RAM, 9GB HD) straight from the CD. After a lengthy install, I went into a CDE session. Everything seemed to be OK. I configured the bulk of my hard drive to hold data. I noticed that the date was wrong, and attributed it to a bad battery. I rebooted the server (for whatever reason) and started getting errors about eisa_config and NVM. Then the server reboots. It says the time to shutdown has passed and the system is shutting down. This happens regardless of whether I boot from HD or CD.

What's happening here, and what do I do about it? I'm not completely new to HPUX, but I need some help getting around. I have the original 2GB HD, but I'm not sure re-installing it will help.

Thanks,
Kevin
2 REPLIES 2
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Server rebooting after HPUX 11 install

hi, due to the dead battery or power outage it could have caused the eisa_config to be lost or become corrupt.
You need to re run eisa_config and save the new config in eisa_config and nvram.

/etc/eisa/system.sci is the file which can become corrupt.

When the system boots it tries to verify the eisa_config from nvram, if it cannot then you get the message you get.
However you can also get the message if there is a hardware fault.

Andy
Kevin Swanner
Occasional Contributor

Re: Server rebooting after HPUX 11 install

Thanks! I booted into single-user mode and it rebooted only once. That may have fixed it. But, I'll check out the eisa_config as soon as I can.

Thanks again!
Kevin