New Discussion юеВ

Re: Service Life of HP Servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matt Wardle
Advisor

Service Life of HP Servers

Hi,

I'm trying to get some idea of service life of HP's PA-RISC servers.
We've an old K210 which needs replacing and was wondering how long these were built to last.

The seagate discs have a service life of 5 years, but what about CPUs, main board, SCSI interfaces and the like.

I think is like a "how long is piece of string?" question, or "my spade has lasted 20 years, 5 new handles and 3 new blades", but any input would be welcome.
11 REPLIES 11
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Matt,

Check this attached doc.

Regards,
Robert-Jan

Matt Wardle
Advisor

That is incredibly useful.
Thanks very much.

Matt.
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/operating/public_hp-ux_systems_support.pdf

"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Arun,

What good does it do to post the exact same doc that Robert-Jan already posted? I could have done that, too, only moments after he posted, but I have some pride.

Pete

Pete
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Pete, when i did the reply, i couldn't see the previous one. It wasn't there at all. Its not my fault. I searched in HP and found that PDF and it was posted by Robert.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Pete,

This happens once in a while. By the time you read post and reply, there will replies posted before you reply gets out.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Nine minutes later????? Right!

I should have kept my mouth shut, but this happens all too frequently, adds no value to the forum, and, frankly, is annoying beyond belief.

Pete (apparently grumpy this morning)

Pete
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

May be situtation is like this,

Arun tried to reply at first... and searching documents.. and pasting contents.. so that time passed (9 minutes).

Nothing is problem. we've to proud that lots of people are trying to help for one problem. We've to approciate instead of seeing points. I am being like that.

Keep sharing!!! All the best.

PS: Assing 0 points.

best wishes.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If you mean: how long will your K210 keep running, I would figure about another 10-15 years. The K-class is a particularly solid box (disks aren't made by HP), albeit heavy and slow compared to today's servers. HP stops manufacturing, then stops support contracts, and finally stops supplying parts, all with varying timeframes depending on a lot of factors (repair parts availability, profitability, etc). But there are plenty of 3rd party hardware suppliers that will still supply spare parts (even spare computers) long after HP quits supplying parts. So you might pick up a couple of additional K210's (and spare I/O cards, power supplies, etc) to keep going for another decade or so.

That said, there are other costs:

- software support: 11.11 ver 1 will run on the K-class boxes but I would not expect the next version to run on the K-class servers.

- performance versus kilowatts: The K210 is a 32bit machine, 120Mhz and can hold only 2Gb of RAM, but draws 800 to 1600 watts of power. That means a lot of heat to remove too, so power costs are a big concern.

- performance versus floor space: The K210 takes about half of a typical rack, a lot of rack space for 120 Mhz of performance.

With today's 1U and 2U servers at 500 to 900 Mhz, you can replace a half dozen K210's with a single rp-2405. Huge drops in power requirements and floor space, and much faster performance are the results.

So the simple answer is: check back here in about a dozen years - your K210 will probably still be useable.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin