New Discussion юеВ

Re: Set terminal type in GSP

SOLVED
Go to solution
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

Set terminal type in GSP

Hi everybody,

I tried to do an ignite restore on Friday afternoon. I received a message to tell me that the terminal type was set to vt100 and if this was wrong I would see garbage on the screen. The message further advised me to reset the terminal type in GSP if necessary.

I saw garbage, so I went into GSP but couldn't find any option in there for resetting the terminal type. Any GSP experts out there who can tell me how to do it?

Mark Syder (like the drink but spelt different)
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
6 REPLIES 6
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Mark,

Take a look at this page, there is a section called "How to Set the GSP Terminal Type"

http://docs.hp.com/en/T1335-90001/ch04s03.html

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

Thanks Arun - that was easy.

I'll retry the ignite restore this Friday.

Mark
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Mark, Add on http://web.tampabay.rr.com/batcave/GSPinfo.htm

It is very good to bookmark

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

I don't usually give points after the bunny, but in this case I'll make an exception. That site looks very useful and I've bookmarked it as suggested.

Mark
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The GSP terminal setting is particularly painful as the GSP setting 'hardcodes' the response for the HP-UX commands ttytype and tset. I don't know why this was ever done since the GSP does not use any terminal-specific display codes. What this means is that all access to the console must be with a terminal (or emulator) that matches the GSP setting. So if you have an HP terminal on the serial port set to HP emulation but use a dumb vt100 emulator to access the GSP LAN connection, one or the other will have strange characters during an interactive Ignite restore or using menu programs like SAM, swinstall and Glance.

The HP-UX tools that need emulation-specific features (SAM, swinstall, Glance, etc) are easiest to use and navigate using an HP terminal or emulator. So as an administrator, you need to standardize on the console access method (HP or vt100). Note that this only affects the console for GSP-style machines. Normal network connections are self-configuring using ttytype in login profiles, but the 'feature' in ttytype for GSP puts a special restriction for console access. You can certainly set the GSP to vt100 rather than hpterm but you lose a lot of the display features available only in an hpterm terminal.

The best HP terminal emulator is WRQ's Reflection/HP (*not* Reflection/X) but a less featured (and free) HP emulator is found at:

http://www.aics-research.com/qcterm/index.html

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

Yes, Bill, I found it very surprising that ignite didn't offer me the chance to change the terminal type there and then rather than telling me to go into GSP. I think you've explained why that happened.

Mark