New Discussion юеВ

Re: Small RP Servers Back Cable Tidies

SOLVED
Go to solution
JASH_2
Trusted Contributor

Small RP Servers Back Cable Tidies

All,

Just wondering if any other of you "hands on" system admin people are fed up with cutting your hands to shreds on the cable tidies on the back of small rp 9000 servers. I had to rewire the racking today to put an extra pdu in and managed to come away with bleeding hands
again! Perhaps it is just me, but the design of these things is incredibly poor, as when they are on you find it almost impossible to use any of the slots at the back, because of the cable tidies.
Obviously the designers of these things never have to go near them!
Needless to say, once I had unravelled the factory installed cables (how many cable ties do they need?) I removed them and put them in the recycling pile!

Sorry to winge, but my poo hands!
What do you think?

JASH
If I can, I will!
5 REPLIES 5
JASH_2
Trusted Contributor

That's poor hands!
If I can, I will!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi JASH,

By "cable tidies" I assume you mean "cable stays" or those plastic devices used to anchor any/all cables to something or another. I feel your pain - so to say - but I think this is basically a problem with the CE who is installing these systems. One can put these on such that the sharp, cut end is facing a direction that won't be "in the way". You should speak with your local HP office & instruct them to do such or at least let you supervise the install of these.
But I hear you i.e. these new, small systems really get quite cramped in back & the problem with anything sharp & poky in back gets compounded so that greater care needs to be taken at install time. I suspect that the installer is just trying to save time during install.

Cheers,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
JASH_2
Trusted Contributor

Jeff,

Yes it was the metal cable stays I was talking about. I am surprised that you think there are more than 1 way to fix them on though, they look one way to me!
I just got so cross this morning, that I could not do anything without scraping my hands. For a bloke I have smallish hands anyway, any bigger and it would be even worse.

Cheers, at least I am not on my own!

I will leave this open for any further comments.

JASH
If I can, I will!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

OK - I see what you mean now.
You're referring to those articulated metal "arms" through which you can route cables.
What I do is unlock the server & pull it out some. That really clears the deck so that you can easily get to the slots.
I know - it's a pain & takes time - but at least your bandaid budget will drop. ;~))
And to the cable ties I *greatly* prefer the velcro puppies. Not only are they soft but they are moveable & reuseable.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
JASH_2
Trusted Contributor

Not a very interesting subject, obviously!
If I can, I will!