1753466 Members
4548 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array Configuration

GraceO
Regular Advisor

Smart Array Configuration

When installing a Smart Array 6402 controller in an rp3440, the physical drive ID was different from another rp3440 server we have with the exact same configuration. Shouldn't the physical drive IDs be the same?
3 REPLIES 3
Vamsidin
Frequent Advisor

They need not be same as this could depend on the type of slot being used or it could be something unique.

But definately they need not be unique
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

you would normally assume so, but it just depends upon the configuration of the server.

is the SA6402 in the exact same pci slot? and attached to the same numbered connector on the card?

Then theres the option of, if your other server or this one has different routed cables for the internal backplane or did you use optional smart array cable kit instead. Also slot 3 is the only supported slot for the sa card on the internal disks

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12035_na/12035_na.HTML#Configuration

Andy

GraceO
Regular Advisor

The controller is is the exact same slot(slot3), but, I found recently, not in the same port. The cable is connected to PORT A2, where I thought it was supposed to be. The other server has it in PORT A1. I changed the PORT, and now the physical drive IDs are the same on both servers.

Since PORT A1 is used to support Dual Channel, and I intended on Single Channel, should I actually be using PORT A2 on both? Or, does it not matter?